Thursday, September 5, 2013

Just Chatting

It is a rare moment in my house right now.  John is asleep and Ada is playing outside, which, of course, means I have a quiet house all to myself.  What a gift this is!!  Thank you, Lord, and I mean that in all seriousness.  We are loving our street and neighborhood.  Ada is outside any chance she gets, as is John, more than I would have thought, and it has been so good, to say the least.

We have a precious, precious next door neighbor.  He is an 85 year old, Christian, widower, who has been beyond friendly to us and to our children.  Many of you saw this on facebook, but one day last week, he showed up at my door with a homemade lemon chiffon pie and a cookbook of his late wife's best recipes.  He said he wanted to "welcome us to the neighborhood."  We LOVE him.  On Saturday, he brought over a toy car for John and a book of bible stories for Ada.  My children love him too.  In fact, when he was over on Saturday, John promptly wrapped himself around Mr. Gene's legs, and I had to peel him off.  Mr. Gene said, "Oh, he's fine.  I have 12 grandchildren of my own."  What a gift He is!!

We are slowly settling in, though there is much left to do.  Pictures to hang, boxes still to unpack, etc. etc.  But, Evie has a bed with a mattress and a sheet, so really, we are as ready as we need to be ;)  I told Scott, if for some reason, she showed up today (besides the terrible medical implications of that), I could feed her, swaddle her, and put her to sleep, so we would be fine.  And he could do a quick run to the store for some diapers.  It just settles my pregnant nerves to have the bare minimums in place.  I still want to order a new bumper and crib skirt, hang things on the walls, pick up the newborn girl clothes from Ann, etc. etc, but the bare necessities are in place. 

Okay, a complete change of topic, but I have reached this point in pregnancy, did this with Ada and John too, when I crave really good, home cooked, comfort food.  In fact, when I was pregnant with Ada, it was at this point in pregnancy that I really learned to meal plan and grocery shop well, because I was craving comforting meals every night.  I am at that place again.  So...my next task on the list during this leisurely afternoon I find myself having, is to go through all of the recipes I have pinned on pinterest and see which ones I need to try.  If you have any that have been especially successful, please, please pass them along. 

And so ends this riveting blog post.  Aren't you glad you stopped by to read it ;)

No comments: