Sunday, August 12, 2012

On Turning 30

I don't have a long list of things to write about turning 30.  I thought it would more monumental than it is.  I think I was more overwhelmed by 29 than 30.  Maybe I used this entire year to come to terms with the fact that I am leaving my 20s behind.  Bottom line, it mainly feels like just another birthday, but it does cause me to reflect just a bit.

I would reflect on whether or not I am where I wanted to be at 30, but I am not sure where I wanted to be at this point.  I think my high school self wanted me to have some great fashion career in Manhatten, but that was based on a lot of stuff I didn't even begin to understand about life ;)  And my high school self surely wouldn't have wanted this simple little life I "have found," but I sure do like my 30 year old self so much better than my high school self, so I think my only prayer is that with each decade, God will continue to make it less about me and more about Him.  That he will continue to sanctify me, even if that means some painful things--it's inevitable in the life of a believer, right?  I do know that He has given me so much--Scott, Ada, and John; so many friends who love me in tangible ways (just a last night a group of ladies took me to dinner for my birthday, such a treat!); my parents are on their way here right now; and God has shown me so much about himself--so the things that matter, that are important and eternal--He has made me rich, indeed, with the things that matter.  So, I say, bring on the next decade; and I pray that I will "laugh at the days to come."

I will end with a funny little story that I think does sum up the practical side of 30 year old me.  Last night I had a dream that I was lying in our bed and Scott walked in.  He said, "I know just what you want for your 30th birthday--an extra long, LB nap."  And when I woke up this morning, I was a little bit sad that it was only a dream--ha!!  But, the dream Scott nailed it--that is what I want, "an extra long LB nap," and I think real life Scott knows that too.  It doesn't take much to make me happy, just a long nap with no interruptions.  Right, fellow moms? 

Oh, and I found this picture on facebook that someone posted--I think I might have been 15ish in this picture.  Wow, is all I can say.  That hair.  It's quite possibly the worst hair cut I have ever seen.  What was I thinking?!!!!  So, half a lifetime ago.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Hope you had a great birthday!

I had the same thoughts about 30---I kept trying to make it this big, momentous thing, but it just didn't feel like such a big deal. Mostly, I feel grateful for where I am and all that I have learned by this stage in life...and like you basically said, hopeful that I will continue to become a person I like more and more as the years go on.

Here's to 30! : )

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday!!