Thursday, August 1, 2013

Early Birthday Gift and a New Job

Look at me blogging at 9 am on a Thursday morning!  Thank you, husband, for surprising me with a new lap top.  A much needed new lap top. 

I am old enough that back when I was in Auburn it was not an absolute necessity to have a computer.  I mean, my family didn't even own a computer until my junior year of high school.  Crazy how fast technology moves!!  I made do at Auburn with computer labs and friend's computers.  I spent many hours in the Foy and Haley Center computer labs; memories.  And I luckily lived with 13 other girls, so it wasn't hard to find a computer to use late at night for those occasional up all night paper writing sessions.  (Glad those days are over! Soon it will be up all night Evie sessions). 

Well, then I got married, and I "inherited" Scott's desk top from college.  Plus, I received a lap top as a teacher in the Cobb County schools, but neither of those computers was mine.  Besides, a year into that, the teaching "gig" was over and I was back at home with just the desk top.  That desk top long ago stopped working, and I have sadly made do with my phone and Scott's work computer at night.  But no more.  No more, I tell you.  I now can proudly say that I have my very own computer.  Yes, I'm behind the rest of the world, but I don't care.  I have arrived ;) 

I recently found out/ agreed to a new tutoring position with our homeschool group, Classical Conversations.  It was a bit out of the blue.  The timing is obviously not ideal, since Evie is coming in November, but it is a tutoring position that I have been wanting, so when it was available, I jumped on it.  Someone will be subbing for me all of second semester, and it's only one day a week, so not a huge deal.  Except it feels like a huge deal as I prepare to start the school year ;)  All of that to say, we reached a point where it no longer made sense for me to not have a computer.  Besides, what family in 2013 with school age children can really get by without a computer?  Homeschooled, private schooled, public schooled, whatever the educational choice, computers are just a necessity these days.  So, Scott surprised me with a new computer last night.  My birthday is August 12th, so it's really my birthday gift. 

This will also make it much easier to blog, since I am usually falling asleep on the couch by 7 pm each night now that third trimester is closing in (still three weeks away, but still).  I am much better in the mornings.  It will also be much easier to neglect all the other things that I need to be doing, so I am going to have to set some restrictions for myself. 

I have more to say about the new tutoring job (an intensive grammar and writing program that I am so excited--and currently very overwhelmed--about), but I will save that for tomorrow morning, perhaps. 

No comments: