Friday, August 5, 2011
Birthday Interview with Ada
I saw this idea on pinterest, and I love it. I plan to do this on every birthday from now on.
I followed the pinterest questions exactly because I was curious to see how she would respond, hence a few random questions.
1. Ada, what is your favorite food: cake, banana, gummy bears [she never eats gummy bears, ever]
2. what is your favorite sport to play: princesses
3. What is your favorite thing to watch on tv: princesses [here is where I pointed out that she doesn't watch princesses on tv] okay, Caillou
4. Who is the coolest person on earth: space man
5. What is your favorite thing to learn about in school: princesses [I ask, do you learn about princesses in school? Is there anything else that you learn about?] okay, letters and numbers
6. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? Outer space, because that's my favorite place to go. And the park. [until this interview, I have never heard Ada talk about spacemen or outer space. She does love the park]
7. What is your favorite color? pink, red, and purple
8. What do you want to be when you grow up? princess
9. What is your favorite song? Jesus Makes a Difference [from VBS] and princesses. Those are both my favorite songs. [we don't have any princess songs that we listen to. none.]
10. Book I'm Loving Right Now: princess and dora books. Maisy and Olivia [really, she loves any lift-the-flap books, Maisy, Bernstein Bears, Olivia, and yes, princess books--we have Tangled and Cinderella]
11. Three words to describe me: I'm like a kid. I'm like a princess when I dress up. Happy that Near is coming. [my parents are coming today for Ada's birthday party tomorrow]
12. When I was little I used to: wear diapers
13. Favorite season: Winter
14. Absolute best thing about camping: [just curious to see what she would say, we have never been camping] marshmallows
15. favorite snack: goldfish, cheese, carrots, grapes
16. food I really don't like: ostrich [?!!!!], laughs, I mean tomatoes
17. My best friend is: Hannah, Grant, and Baby Kate [Harman kids]
18. One wish: I could be a fairy flying up the whole wide world
19. My best memory: Doing a pacie. Because I love pacies. I just wish I still had one. [she means pacifiers; it's been a year since she gave them up, but she hasn't forgotten]
20. Is there anything else you want to say? Happy Birthday to everyone.
And that just about sums up our Ada. She does, indeed, love princesses. She is your stereotypical girl in that she adores pink and princesses and dress up and glitter and make up and all of those things. She is very inquisitive, and I often find myself impatient with her endless questions (I wish that wasn't true--my impatience) She is going through an extremely shy phase, and she is super attached to me. I am hoping she will outgrow this and that Classical Conversations will help a bit. She struggles with disobedience (obviously), and I feel like I am not consistent enough with discipline. She also has a tender heart and is quick to "break" after a spanking and prayer. She continues to be very small, but healthy--in the lowest percentile. She loves ballet and is excited to get back to it in the fall--she asks about it a lot. As I have mentioned, she is beginning to read, and can sound out most three letter words. She loves John so much, though they are starting to have some sibling conflict. Mostly, though, they adore each other. They are both so full of energy, and they just feed off of each other--John copying almost everything she does.
It's been a doozie of a year for all of us, and I believe that much of it will be used to shape her little heart. We are beyond thankful for our precious girl--there really aren't words, right? She is our treasure. A gift. And we are heavy with the responsibility.