Saturday, November 23, 2013

Evelyn Edith Moore

Evie is here! 

She was born via C-section on Monday morning, November 18th, at 8:16 am.  I can't believe she is here, yet it already seems like she has always been here. 

This might be a super long post.  Forgive me. 

On the Monday prior to the C-section, so November 11th, I had an appointment with the specialist to check on Evie's size.  At that appointment, they predicted her weight to be 9 lbs 6 oz.  They also saw for the first time that I had an excess amount of amniotic fluid.  Because of the excess fluid, they told me that they would need to see me again on the 18th.  I was so frustrated because it just felt like there was always some new thing for them to check on.  But, anyway, I left that appointment with the information that she was 9'6, with a 10% margin of error. 

I then decided to reschedule my regular OB appointment to Wednesday so that I could meet with someone who would potentially do the C-section if that was the route we decided to go.  (The doctor that I had been meeting with was on crutches due to back surgery, and is not currently delivering babies).  So, I went to my appointment on Wednesday, with my main prayer being clarity.  I prayed lots about the decision, and I decided that God had provided these doctors, and I was going to trust their guidance.  At the appointment on Wednesday, the doctor strongly, strongly suggested that I go ahead with the C-section, and I counted that as answered prayer--the decision was made.  It turns out that the doctor I wanted was not going to be on call any this past week, so I chose another doctor, and the C-section was scheduled for Monday morning at 7:30.  I was so relieved that the decision was finally made.  To say that I had analyzed the decision to death is an understatement!!  For weeks I had been weighing the pros and cons, so to move forward with a decision was a huge weight lifted.

Now, obviously, there were advantages to that decision.  The big one being that I could plan everything.  My mom and my sister Sarah arrived Saturday, Scott was able to arrange for time off from work in advance, Scott's parents made plans to get to the hospital on Monday, we were able to enjoy a last fun night out as a family on Friday night, etc. etc.  I was trying to really look at the good things about the C-section.

My nerves were on overdrive by Sunday night of course, and I slept maybe 3 hours that night, despite going to bed very early.  We had to be at the hospital by 5:30 on Monday morning, and it felt a bit like Christmas morning, with some fear mixed in ;)  I mainly prayed for peace.  Or, begged for peace might be more accurate. 
leaving for the hospital.  That big baby still tucked into my tummy.  So glad she is out now!!

After we got checked in to the hospital, and the nurses began hooking me up to everything, I admit I did have a moment of overwhelming panic.  I kid you not, I thought I might just bolt from that bed, and take off running as fast as I could from that hospital (which would have been really slow considering my hugely pregnant self).  Then, the nurse accidentally "blew a vein" (proper terminology?), when trying to put in the iv, which then caused me to throw up, and then after the throwing up, I calmed down.  Blessing in disguise?  I think so.  I felt so much better after that.  Ha.  I promise I kept thinking if I am panicking now, how in the world will I make it through the C-section?  So the vein situation and the throwing up was a huge answer to prayer, and then I was super calm. Everything was pretty much on schedule, and by 8:00 the doctor was starting the surgery.  The insane calm stayed with me up until they actually got Evie out, which I was so thankful for, I mean, I couldn't stop saying thank you, Lord, over and over in my head. 
at the hospital, getting ready to check in.  The doors were locked, so we had to wait for about ten minutes outside.  a little crazy.

Scott getting ready for the operating room.  We were laughing so hard at his "get up."

And she's here!  After what felt like an eternity, I finally got to see her.  Scott got to see her before me, so he took some pictures and showed them to me before he finally got to bring her over to me.

not enjoying the C-section at this point ;)  They told Scott he could go with Evie to the recovery room, and as he was about to walk out, I grabbed his hand and said, "stay!!"

And we both made it to recovery, and I am so happy and relieved to be there! 

Things did take a turn after Evie was actually out and they were sewing me up.  I won't go into the details, but suffice it to say, I didn't like the C-section at that point, and I think I was having a minor panic attack or a reaction to the anesthesia or some combination of all of the above.  But, the thing is, it was all so quick.  I mean, a vaginal delivery can get a bit like that too--painful, panicky, etc. etc.--and then it's over, and it was so quick, and you have this baby.  This beautiful, miraculous baby.  So, in hindsight, the C-section was so not bad.  Really.  It was SO QUICK, and there I was in recovery by nine-something with my beautiful baby.  Plus, by then, ten minutes after surgery, the anesthesiologist had put something in my epidural that made me blissfully numb, and I was euphoric over my new baby.

It is the most blissful thing in the world to see that baby for the first time, isn't it.  I mean, I saw her in the operating room for a brief second, but to be there in that room with her, and the nurse handing her to me, and nursing her for the first time.  It is magic and a miracle and a gift, and I can't believe I got to do it for a third time.  Thank you, Lord, for undeserved gifts.  At one point in the operating room, I looked at Scott and said, "never again.  I will never do this again."  Then thirty minutes later with that brand new life in my arms, I looked at Scott and said, "I could do this a million times." 

I will stop there.  I want all the details recorded.  I do.  For me, for Evie, for the record of our little family.  So, I will be back with more. 

I will end by saying, I just adore little Evie.  Just like I adored Ada and John and still do.  But, the sweetness of those newborn sounds and faces and the way her little body just curls up.  It's too much. 

By the way, she was 9 lbs 2 oz, 20 inches long.  Precious girl.


Jenn said...

NINE TWO!!! Oh my goodness. I was expecting you to end the post with 'by the way, she was five and a half pounds.' That seemed to happen all the time when I worked L&D :( But nine two. Imagine me whistling under my breath. And you're so tiny!!! I think it's safe to say you one hundred percent made the right decision.

And she's here!!! Welcome to the Kids Outnumber the Parents Club. It's super fun.

Congratulations!!! I hope your recovery is quick and steady. Just don't over do it!! Snuggle that chunky baby and relax for a few weeks. I'm so excited!!!

God bless you and your sweet sweet family LB. Ya'll have certainly blessed me more than you'll ever know over the last five years.


Carrie said...

She is beautiful!! Congratulations to all of you on your newest blessing!

Margaret said...

I am so happy for you and your family! Isn't that third baby just wonderful? I feel like I'm obsessed with mine �� I loved reading your story of the birth and I'm so glad your c section went ok!! Enjoy that beautiful baby!

Hank and Anna Uzzell said...

So thankful she is here and both of y'all are safe! She is beautiful, congratulations!