Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Much needed update

Now that I have established the beginning of the new blog, it is time to update on life with Ada. And since I last posted on the previous blog, there are many things to update.


We began the Christmas holidays with my best friend, Amy Speakman's, wedding. That was such a fun wedding, and I am so excited about Amy becoming a Hendrix. I was honored to serve as her matron of honor. Ada, on the other hand, did not enjoy the weekend as much. Amy graciously provided a room for my parents, so that they could serve as the official baby-sitters for the weekend. This allowed me to fully enjoy all events, including the lingerie shower, rehearsal dinner, and wedding/reception. I tried to bring Ada to the reception, but it was a slight disaster, and my parents took her home to Scottsboro about ten minutes into the reception. She was wearing the beautiful Christmas dress that my mother gave her, screaming at the top of her lungs because she was hungry, tired, and cold, and in the process she spit up all over the dress. I grabbed a red napkin from Lindsay Luginbuhl in order to quickly wipe up the spit up, and I watched in horror as the napkin stained the beautiful white dress red. It was at this point that the decision was made for Ada to go on home without me. And so began our Christmas holiday.



I don't know all the reasons why , and I will not go into the gory details for all the world to read, but because of several different events that occurred during the holidays, I am slowly switching Ada to formula--and so begins the guilt of parenting. Until now, Ada's diet has been the purest nutrition available, and I feel like I am switching her to an all junk food diet. Because her little tummy is still getting used to the formula, she spits up constantly, and with every new stain on her onesie, the guilt grows. In addition to the formula switch, we are also introducing solid foods. We have only fed her rice cereal and squash so far, and because I was very curious, I tasted both. The rice cereal was incredibly bland, and the squash tastes a lot like spaghettios. So far, about 5% of the solid food makes it into her mouth, and the other 95% ends up on her clothing. See the pictures below. I am starting with vegetables because I am guessing that once she tastes fruit, there will be no going back.





















On a happier, less guilty note, our little Ada is switching from a serious, introspective baby, to a very smiley baby. This is a very fun switch for me. Scott and I are constantly making fools of ourselves as we do whatever possible to keep her smiling. We have yet to hear a full belly laugh, but I am sure it is coming any day now.








And for the final and saddest update of all, Ada is quickly losing all of her hair. I am so sad about this. While I was pregnant, in a moment of superficial weakness, I admitted to Scott that one of my biggest wishes was that Ada would be born with a head full of hair. So imagine my excitement when the doctor announced that she had beautiful, red hair, and now, probably to keep my pride in check, Ada i s going bald. I only hope that when the hair grows back it is just as red. Bless her heart--her first awkward stage. A sneak peak at what the Jr. High years hold, I suppose.

(Ada's old hair, see smiling picture for current hair)





















And that is life with Ada these days. Usually stressful, always fun.

Pictures below--the first is a picture of Ada with Scott's great niece who was born only three days after Ada. Yes, you read that correctly--great niece. The other picture is Ada with two Christmas presents. The crazy thing is, we did not place the presents on top of her, she somehow managed to get them in that position. This picture is also a great example of serious, introspective Ada. I hope the serious side means she will be a reader and a writer. She is her mother's daughter, after all.






5 comments:

Amanda said...

LB love your new blog! I will be a loyal follower :)

LB said...

thanks Amanda!!!

Ashley said...

Me, too, LB. I figured that might happen sometime - there is some weirdo jealousy that goes on when Adam gets to blog everyday (or has enough to blog about for that matter). Crazy. Anyway, I look forward to many posts - I figure we'll some of that English major eduation coming out in you at some point.

Ada is adorable. Love her!

Oh, and loved seeing the wedding pictures. Amy is such a cute bride!

McCrory Family said...

I love your blog! As a full time social worker turned stay at home mom, I love to blog stalk and I am so glad I stumbled upon yours! The best advice for stains...Dreft stain spray. It helped me save many, many, many white outfits and smocked dresses!!

TulipGirl said...

Look at those cute, cute pics!