Sunday, January 27, 2008

Half-Marathon Training Day One

I have been making excuse after excuse in order to delay the inevitable, but today the weather in South Atlanta (I am in denial that I can no longer be considered an ATL resident) was beautiful, so I pulled out the extremely dusty running shoes and hit the road. The last time that I ran on a regular basis was my senior year of college, which was four years ago. This is, in fact, how Scott won me over, but I will save that story for another day. Senior year, I was able to run four miles on a regular basis, but that is the farthest I have ever run, and since then, I really haven't run much at all. Add to that the fact that I did absolutely nothing the entire time I was pregnant, except for one failed attempt at tae-bo after the doctor told me I was gaining too much weight. It is very hard to keep up with Billy Blanks when you are 7+ months pregnant. All of this to say, that my half-marathon training is off to a very slow start. The training schedule that I will use for the half-marathon claims that I must be able to run five miles comfortably in order to begin the training. Right now, I can run about one mile uncomfortably. So, goal number one--five miles of fairly comfortable running. The good news is, the half-marathon is not until October, so I have plenty of time, as long as I am diligent, and this is where the blog comes in. It will be my accountability. I really want to do this, and despite the fact that it seems impossible based on the humiliating fact that I am rather sore after my ten minute run, I believe that by October I can complete thirteen miles. I welcome any and all encouragement and/or advice.

As for life with Ada, for the second week in a row I was unable to make it through an entire worship service because she was crying uncontrollably in the nursery. This week Scott volunteered to hang out with her, so I was able to finish the service after all. I am not sure if she is experiencing some sort of early separation anxiety, but it is making any sort of outing rather inconvenient. On a happier note, Ada can now successfully eat baby food three times a day, and she seems to really enjoy it. We took her off of rice cereal because of the stomach trouble, and she is now eating pears and squash. She actually seems to prefer the squash, but the pediatrician recommended the pears for her digestive issues. She is a squirmy little girl lately, and I miss all the cuddling we used to do, but it is fun to see her so curious about the world around her. I can't believe she is almost six months old!!

2 comments:

Milla said...

The hardest part is getting out the door! Great job! I look forward to hearing your updates- the good and the bad! :)

Since you're in a new town, here's a great site for planning runs:
www.mapmyruns.com

You can either search for good runs posted by others, or you can map one of your own. It will show you distance and terrain, etc.

Milla said...

Sorry, it's just

www.mapmyrun.com

The other one takes you to some debt consolidation site. :)