Monday, February 4, 2008

Half-Marathon Training Continues

The high today was in the upper 60's, so I decided it was time to lace up the running shoes once more. And again, I was humiliated as I dragged myself through a measly one mile run. However...I do have a plan that should get me to thirteen miles by October. I will start by training for a 5k. I have found a training plan that will have me running the 5k distance in 8 weeks, and from there I will begin a 10k training plan. This week, I have to run 1.5 miles on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and I have to crosstrain on Wednesday and Sunday, which means either my 30 minute Shape video or a long walk with Ada. In the past, I have not followed any plans when running a 5k, but I have never been able to run farther than four miles because my knees always begin to bother me as I increase my distance. I am hoping that by going really, really slowly with the training, my body won't desert me, and I will be able to finally reach the half-marathon goal. I have run many 5k's, but I have never run a 10k, so I plan to find both a 5k and 10k to run in order to keep me on track with the half-marathon training. For all you running experts, any advice for the knee trouble? It happens every time, and I really want to prevent the problem this time, if possible.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

LB do you have a jogging stroller?? I have often wondered how heavy and/or cumbersome they are to actually run with? They look big.Just wondering.
I may actually do a 10k. But i am like you...the farthest I have run is about 4 miles.

Milla said...

Hey LB! Good job for getting out there again! I wonder the same thing about the jogging stroller. They look very snazzy...

Keep us updated on your progress. I have no idea how to help the knees. :(

McCrory Family said...

About the jogging stroller, they are a lot lighter than they look. I can actually carry mine with one hand!! I think they are also a good training tool. When I am able to run without pushing the stoller (that is hauling a 22 lb baby) for several miles I'll probably feel like I've lost 5 pounds!!

Lindsay said...

LB, you know my parents are avid runners (did a marathon and many 1/2s), and they really rely on good shoes to get them through. They use a place called FleetFeet in Huntsville to make sure they're sized exactly right, and I think they get new shoes about every 3 to 6 months. They say they can really tell a difference.

The Slagleys said...

Hey- I know you probably already do... but, it helps to take some Advil about 30 minutes before you go running. Not that I am an avid runner, but that is because my knees have always hurt! It definitely helps me, so you should give it a try and see if that prevents pain for you. Great job getting out there!