Sunday, February 3, 2008

Random Updates from the Past Week

As I type this, I am as tired as ever. Saturday night Ada woke up every two hours, which was quite tortuous, and last night, she took forever to fall asleep and then woke up at 4 am. She cried and cried and cried when we put her to bed, but magically she would stop crying the second that we picked her up. She finally fell asleep, and when she woke up at 4 am, it felt like we had not been asleep at all. The circles under my eyes are getting darker and darker. It's not the most attractive look I could hope for.

As for the half-marathon training, I am sad to say that I have not run since last Sunday. Now, not to make excuses, but my sister, Ann, and my niece and nephew were in town all week, so I put off the training for another week. It was such fun to have them here, and the house was so lively with all the little ones running around. Ada wasn't running around, but she seemed to enjoy all the action that Ellie and Luke brought to our normally drab routine. Ellie was so sweet to Ada, and she wanted to help me with everything. We did have a minor fiasco when Ada began to pull Ellie's hair and Ellie decided to hit Ada to get her to stop. It was the first fight among the cousins. It was quite funny, and it really does hurt when Ada pulls your hair--or your earring, for that matter. Ann brought an exersaucer for Ada to borrow, and Ada is loving it!! It really frees up time for me to get things done around the house. As for other Ada news, she is still not sitting up, but I am hoping it will happen soon. She will sit up for a few seconds, but then she falls forward onto her stomach. She does like to pull up if we let her hold onto our fingers. That is her favorite thing to do these days, and it keeps her very entertained.

(L-R) 1. Luke "kissing" Ada, 2. Ellie and Ada playing with Ada's toy--this is where the hair pulling/hitting incident took place, 3. The three cousins watching Praise Baby, 4. A favorite of Scott and Ada, 5. Ellie very excited about the Valentine's cupcakes that Ann made.



















As for other news, Scott and I have been half-heartedly searching for a church to attend in McDonough. We absolutely love the church we currently attend in Atlanta, and our original plan was to make the 40 minute drive each Sunday in order to stay involved with that church. However, we have both been convicted that if God lead us here, we should get plugged into a church here. The problem is, we cannot find anything that we love as much as Intown, and this leads us to the question, what exactly are we supposed to look for in a church? What are the guidelines, and how do we know if God is calling us to a specific church? When Scott moved to Atlanta, we found Intown's website online, and from the first time we visited, there was no doubt in our minds that it was the church we wanted to attend. Though we have not been super involved in the year that we have been attending Intown, we do have a community group that we love, and we really, really love the Sunday services. I would love feedback on what guidelines we should use in looking for a new church--the big question being, are we looking for a church where we can serve, or church that serves us, and what is the line there?

Finally, as I posted last week, my plan for dealing with the no cable situation is to order a book off of Amazon each week, using any money leftover from the week's grocery budget. However, formula and diapers are doing a number on the budget, so I have very limited funds this week. The challenge is, if I can find a book for less than five dollars, including shipping and handling, I may order it. A difficult task, yes; impossible task, no. I have had so much fun searching the website and compiling a wish list, and I will let you know if I am successful in my bargain book hunting.

One last thing--Ann and I are both Lost fans, so we were fired up about the season premiere, and discussed the show and anticipated its premiere all week. I was not disappointed. I have to say that I have never watched better television. I was a huge, huge lover of Felicity, and I have yet to see anything by JJ Abrams that I don't love. Lost continues to live up to those high expectations. I was so very sad, however, to deal with the fact that Charlie is no longer with us. I really loved his character and the relationship between Claire and Him.

And that is our week in summary. We are suffering from Atlanta withdrawals and starting to miss the fellowship we had there, but we are excited to see what God is going to do here, in this new place where He has landed us.

7 comments:

Amy said...

LB- I know what its like to feel isolated and not near your community of friends. Zach and I moved to Warner Robins after David was born, and I'm still struggling being here. We haven't really plugged into a church and I haven't made a single friend. Anyhow, I hope your settling down in McDonough goes better!

Ashley Turnbull said...

Yay for a summary! Yes, I think the hardest part of moving is looking for a new church to plus in to. Adam and I have felt that a couple of times. We were patient, and we also endured a couple of lackluster experiences before we found "home." And God REALLY rewarded us for waiting on Him to reveal that plan. Hang in there.

On another note, LOST was AWESOME! I talked about it all week, too. I was obsessed. I love the fact that Jack and Kate are flirting again, and I, too, am sad about Charlie (BTW, I am now trying to get Adam to embrace that as the name of a future kid =) Ha!

Unknown said...

i just tried to post this and i think it deleted it. anyway, i know you said you love amazon.com but if you're looking to spend less than $5, you should check out half.com. although you pay for shipping separately on each book ($2-3) the books are dirt cheap, some even less than $1. some are more expensive, but i think you could have a lot of luck there! hope this helps :)

Amanda said...

Laura Beth, I know the church thing is difficult. We were right there with you last summer. As far as a formula for finding the right church, I have no idea. Taylor and I made a decision that we were going to prayerfully listen to if Truth was being preached at the churches we visited. Sometimes that is difficult when you are in such need of Christian companionship. We knew that it was easy to say "well we really like those people they are so fun" and then let that dictate where we end up planting ourselves.
We had to trust that if we put our focus on his Truth (and how He revealed Himself through leadership and sermons) that He would provide us with the relationships. And He did! We couldn't even imagine how wonderful our friendships would be at our church and how we minister to each other.
But you just have to be patient and wait. The Lord wouldn't call you to a new town without providing you with what you need.

On another note, I still want to see some pictures of your house with the furniture in it! Love you!

Sarah Garner said...

LB- Sounds like you are adjusting to life outside of Atlanta. :) I can't wait to see you, your precious Ada, and your new house. Call me so we can get together!

Milla said...

Hey LB! So glad to have an update! Ada is so precious; I love the pictures.

When someone in our community group was leaving to go to another town, our pastor advised them to find a church "where the bible is taught and people are gracious." Wow. I loved that so much.

Another thing Brad and I realized when moving to a new town is the importance of community groups. Our church in Auburn didn't have groups like this, and we developed closer friendships here in much less time!

Anyway, that's all the ideas I have. Please keep us updated on the progress, as we can really relate...

LB said...

hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback!! It really helps, and it is encouraging to know that each of you have experienced or are experiencing the same situation.

Ashley--I feel the same way about the name Charlie. My dad's name is Charlie, but it wasn't until I saw Lost that I realized how much I like the name!!

Julie--I took your advice, and I think I am going to order a book that costs only $.75!! By the way, I still want to do lunch sometime, and I would love to have you and Matt over for dinner one night.

Sarah--I will call soon!!