Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day '08

I am slightly late with my Valentine's Day reflections, but I feel like I should say something since it seems to be the trend in the blog world right now. Having a six month old really limits the celebration possibilities, but Scott did come through with some nice gestures. He brought me three red daisies, the book Atonement, the movie A River Runs Through It, the soundtrack to Once, and sour patch kids (during pregnancy I developed a deep love for all thing sours--candy, slushies, etc). And I, in an uncharacteristically cheesy move, bought Scott a Valentine's card "from Ada." I thought it was cute, and I thought it would be something nice for the baby book. And that was about as far as the celebrating went. We put Ada down, I cooked dinner, and, in our pajamas, we sat down in front of the television to eat. In honor of Valentine's Day, I did make a blueberry cobbler for us to eat as we watched Lost. Overall, a perfect night, and I went to bed feeling extra full thanks to eating dessert at 9:00 pm.

The night was nothing like the first Valentine's we spent together--my senior year of college-when Scott took me to a surprise dinner at the Red Bar. We left Auburn at noon, drove all day, ate dinner, walked on the beach, turned around and drove back. We were in those early stages of the dating relationship when we were still "swoony," and I just thought it was the sweetest thing ever. He thought of every detail and completely swept me off my feet. After he dropped me off, I stayed up late going over every detail of the day with my college roommates. I am sure I confessed that I thought he might be the one.

Four years later we share a house, a child, and we are certainly not trying to impress each other, but I think a night of good dinner and good television with my husband is just as good a Valentine's Day as the Red Bar.

1 comment:

Milla said...

I like yours and Amanda's valentines reflections because they remind me of those dating days in the white house. I am with you, though. There's something about being married... comfortable, happy, content. There's really nothing like it!