Saturday, March 22, 2008

A surprise Easter shopping trip

Oh how I love to shop. A famous line in my family is little five year old me walking into the mall, stopping, taking a big whiff, and announcing for all the world to hear, "I love the smell of the mall." 25 year old me still feels a rush of anticipation when I walk into a favorite store with a little cash in my pocket--oh the endless possibilities.

Because I am now a stay at home mom living on quite the strict budget, I have evolved into a very creative shopper. So when Easter Sunday loomed ahead with its tradition of a new, spring dress, I headed to Target (always my fall back when in need of a new outfit) in search of good fashion and low prices. And I was successful. However, Thursday night I was sitting in my mom's kitchen having just arrived from Atlanta, and my youngest sister walked in the door excited to show us her Easter dress. Lo and behold, it was the same dress I planned to wear in a different pattern. It was quite the fashion emergency. My mom, however, saved the day, when she offered to not only give me the money to purchase a new dress, but she also agreed to baby-sit Ada while I spent most of Friday shopping in Huntsville. I felt as if I had won the lottery.

All of this to say that yesterday I found myself in Banana Republic at Bridgestreet Town Centre in Hunstville, AL purchasing a new outfit. And sadly enough, I discovered that Banana Republic clothing does in fact fit and look better than Target and Old Navy--the only two places I ever shop. I can only imagine how it would feel to dress myself in true designer clothing (and I don't mean Vera Wang for Kohl's). Another exciting discovery about Banana Republic, I wear a size smaller there than everywhere else, another reason to love nice, expensive clothing. By the way, I am so impressed with that shopping center. It was a beautiful day, I was in flip flops and short sleeves, and there is nothing I love more than a day of shopping all by myself. I love to be with friends and family, but I always prefer to shop alone.

Today, however, I am back to being mom to Ada, and she has just woken up from a nap, so now I must go.

Happy Easter to all!!

5 comments:

jane said...

i'm afraid to shop at a nice clothes place again... i fear that i will also realize that target and old navy don't make the highest quality clothes. every that fits me is from one or the other. yay for mommy clothes.

Ashley Turnbull said...

too funny! MY mom and i were just at bridge street banana today! yes, in flip flops as well!! anyway, unfortunately, i didn't find anything within MY budget (not mom's =). oh, well, i'm wearing last year's dress! but, we did find some really fun tops at steinmart, which i never shop at. they are dressy tops that look cute with those dressy shorts (know what i am talking about?). i do agree though - love bridge street! if only there were MORE SALES!

Laura Forman said...

okay, so i went to bridge street on saturday :) it was my first time, i had no idea it was so popular :) i didn't shop for myself though, i went to gymboree and shopped for sadie! i got a few cute things and cute hair bows!! :) i just love shopping for girls!!! glad you had a great easter!!! and hey, can you send me your mailing address on facebook?? thanks friend!!!

Unknown said...

I got my easter dress at Target too! It was a brown, 3/4 sleeve, button up type dress. I also love to shop, and this is so sad, but I honestly have not been in a mall since David was born. It helps that the mall in Warner Robins only has a belk, sears, and Penney's (there isn't even a Gap- what kind of mall is that??). I'm not too tempted to go there!

Rachel said...

I LOVE Bridgestreet- they opened it after Mark and I moved from Huntsville, but I make it a point to go each time I am up there. I love Banana Republic too- but I can't afford it either- all my maternity clothes have either come from Amy or from Ross (which by the way is the bargain lovers dream!)