Sunday, March 30, 2008

Weekend recap and other thoughts

I have been blogging my little heart out lately, and I have been pondering the reasons why. I am sort of adding to a blog that my friend Jane did a little while ago, but, as Jane mentioned, I do feel like blogging serves that need that we have for community. My mom recalls being a child and staying home sick from school. She says that there were always neighborhood women sitting around her mother's kitchen table drinking coffee and chatting about this and that. I guess the computer has become a virtual kitchen table, as sad as that may be. So, Jane, to respond to your blog, I do wish that I lived next door to you so that I could come over each day, even if for only fifteen minutes to share a cup of coffee (or tea, as I prefer) and chat about the day's happenings. Oh well, Scott and I still have no neighbors on either side of us or across the street, so maybe the Lord will provide another stay at home mom. I would be delighted!! Right now, it is only me and the construction workers during the day, and the neighborhood gets rather lonely.

So, virtual community, here are the things I would tell you if you were sitting across from me, drinking coffee, as Ada (tried) to crawl around the kitchen floor...

1. Ada is trying so hard to crawl. Every time we sit her up, she immediately leans forward onto all fours and grunts as if somehow that will propel her forward toward the object she has her eye on. When she realizes that she is not moving forward, she looks at me and fusses, as if to say, "please help me." I usually let her sit there a while, thinking that one day she will finally figure it out. So far, she hasn't.
2. Ada has learned to clap. Scott and I think it is so cute, and we actually have a video of it. I am going to try to post it. We say "yea, Ada" over and over, making idiots of ourselves in the process, and she smiles and claps. Such a fun little game.

3. The haircut that I got this weekend is somewhat of a dissapointment. I don't hate it, but it isn't what I was hoping for. I am debating going somewhere else and trying again. I just really wanted a certain haircut, and this isn't it.

4. My friend Lindsay Luginbuhl (actually Krupicka, but I think it will always seem to me as if she is a Luginbuhl) sent me two beautiful dresses for Ada that she found in a consignment shop in Birmingham--I may take a picture and post because I am just so impressed with them. It has really inspired me to search for some good consignment shops in the Atlanta area. So...if any Atlanta residents happen upon my blog, I would love a recommendation for a children's consignment shop worth going to. And while you're at it, I would also love any antique shop recommendations.


So...that is all. Really nothing even worth posting except that I have a need for a little conversation.

And, by the way, if you really were sitting at my kitchen table, in all likelihood I would offer diet coke instead of coffee.

13 comments:

McCrory Family said...

Laura Beth!! I wish we were neighbors!! I get so lonely being a stay at home mom. I would not trade it for anything but sometime the loneliness overwhelms me. Living in a new town is so hard but top that with no home of our own yet AND no neighbors it makes it all the harder. Right now my best (and usually only) conversations during the take occur with a 14 month old...thank goodness for cell phones AND blogs! :)

Amy said...

I really enjoy reading other mom's blogs. I do think it is a sense of community, and I agree with your 'virtual kitchen table'! I hope one day I will have other mom friends in my neighborhood too!

LB said...

hey amy, I changed my blog template, and the computer won't let me link to your blog. Can you send me the link?

Ashley Turnbull said...

LB, I love the blog template - looks great! And, I really love those two little dresses. Mom and I are trying to learn to smock. She can sew and put them together but I want to learn how to smock. Wish I knew some good stores, but I cannot recommend. Just Lakewood and Scott's flea markets =)

Oh, and I agree about blogging being conversational - please, blog ANY time! I love "hearing" from you. You will look back in a few years and see how the Lord has blessed you with friends, neighbors, and playmates...you'll not have any time to blog (sad)!

Milla said...

Such a cute new template! I'm glad you would offer diet coke, as I would prefer that to coffee any day. And, I love the little dresses Lindsay sent! So cute.

LB said...

thanks for all the comments, girls.

And Lyndsey (did I spell that correctly), I wish you were my neighbor too. Wouldn't it be grand if we could move all these moms into one neighborhood, and just form this huge support network. Ahhh...that would be the life. Thank goodness for blogs:)

jane said...

hey lb-
such an honor to have you link to my rambling blog! i would also turn down the coffee... and the diet coke. tea or water for me ;-)
so...can i come over friday morning and bring the consignment clothes i found for ada? or maybe next week if that doesn't work.
by the way -- i background! so beautiful!

The Slagleys said...

If I were there, I would love a diet coke or tea too! I would enjoy hearing those stories as I also have silly little things I want to tell people! I feel like we are around you guys because I read and keep up with everyone- so just imagine me at your table because you are at mine and Ada is on the floor with Kate!

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for your kind words! It is so nice to know that someone else can relate to the emotional toll pregnancy takes on you, and that I am not the only one to have feelings of insecurity, and guilt. I have been praying for a neighbor to talk to as well, and just to offer a bit of encouragement, God answered my prayers through our Sunday School class... I was getting really lonely when we joined our church and then the Lord provided four couples who live right in our neighborhood that were also in our Sunday School class... all this to say you never know when might meet a new friend. I wish I lived closer, because I know we could keep each other company- I prefer tea as well! :)

Amanda said...

Laura Beth what cute dresses! Lindsay did great! I agree with everyones comments about the virtual kitchen table. What fun to be sitting with you talking right now! Also, hope you are feeling better. I read Scott's blog about your allergies. I remember your allergies now. I'm pretty sure I remember praying that your allergies wouldn't act up on your wedding day!!

LB said...

yes, Amanda, I am pretty sure you did pray for that. We actually planned my wedding around allergy season, but of course we were dying to get married, so I made it the end of April, knowing that pollen would still be around. I am pretty much a mess all of spring--swollen eyes, runny nose, etc., etc.

Katie B said...

i LOVE the diet coke kitchen table idea LB... how fun is this? thanks for sharing... i miss you friend!

LB said...

welcome to the blog, Katie B. I am so glad you are here. By the way, I will be in AU this weekend, so hopefully we can get together. Perhaps over bagel chips and honey mustard? Let me know.

I am going to link to your blog, if that's okay.