Monday, June 9, 2008

Beach Weekend Recap

I will post pictures later, but I wanted to go ahead and recap the beach weekend while it is fresh on my mind.

First of all--the place where we stayed was amazing. All bedrooms had a view of the water, and from the living area both the ocean and the bay were visible--breathtaking!! Plus, the condo was huge and brand new and completely FREE because it belongs to Shannon's aunt. Thanks again, Shannon!!! Also, it was completely uncrowded. We spent a lot of time by the pool because it was rather hot and there were lots of jellyfish in the ocean. The pool was never crowded at all. So nice!! And the weather was perfect. The sky was so blue with perfect white clouds. Perfect beach weather.

So...that was the setting.

The company consisted of TEN of us. That never happens. There are always conflicts, and we can't ever find a time when all of us can get together. Of course, there were still a few people missing, but we were still amazed that so many of us made it. Of course it was so much fun to see everyone and catch up. We laughed at how different our conversations are these days. Friday night, we all sat around talking about politics (which I know nothing about), then we went to bed fairly early, and were all awake by 7 am Saturday morning. Not quite the same as past beach trips.

I will admit that I experienced a lot of Ada homesickness. I didn't think I would because I was okay the other two times I left her, but I think being so far away made it worse. The farthest away I had been was Auburn, so she had been less than two hours away, and I always had the option of hopping in the car and being where she was fairly quickly. When I thought about the fact that I was seven hours away, I became pretty overwhelmed. I tried not to think about it because I wanted to soak up the time away with friends. Friday night as I was going to bed is when I felt it the worst, but I just prayed until I fell asleep, and I was okay.

Another strange emotion I felt was feeling somewhat disconnected to everyone else's lives. Most of my friends are living, what seem to me, exciting lives. They are all working successful jobs or planning mission trips to "far away" lands. I had to spend some time praying for contentment where God has me--in a rather mundane place. Now, I am well aware that each life situation has postive and negatives, but you know how it is so easy to only see the positive when you are on the outside looking in. Because, honestly, I have all I ever wanted--a Godly husband, a daughter, and a "career" as a stay-at-home-mom, so I am sure that if I was in any other situation, the mom thing might seem a lot different than the reality that it is. It's all in perspective, right? But in an effort to make this blog as transparent as possible, I wanted to share some of the struggles I had this past weekend.

Don't get me wrong--overall it was a fabulous weekend, and it was so sad to leave. Those girls are my best, best friends. I think that they always will be, but I did feel slightly out of place at times. Like the "dorky" mom if that makes sense. I mean, let's face it, my tight budget and dreams of a mini-van don't paint the most glamorous picture, and it's easy to find myself envious of other life situations. But...I prayed my little heart out each time I felt those feelings creeping up, and God was faithful to take those lies away and allow me to relax and simply enjoy the company of my closest college friends. It was a great weekend despite my sinful nature trying to rear it's ugly head.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel that way sometimes. I look at my friends and my sister who do the club scene and can pick up and go whenever and think how boring my life is. Who are we kidding?? We never stop and really I have all I could ever ask for. I even have a job I love, but would rather be home with the girls if I could. And I'm proud to be sporting my minivan at not quite 26 years of age because I couldn't live without it! You aren't alone. But I have friends who are free and single who want what we have so its normal. You are doing just what God intended and honestly what could be more important than raising a child?? :) take care! Glad you had fun!

Ashley Turnbull said...

LB. Great post. I am so glad you guys had fun. I got to hear the update from Amanda last night. HOw fortunate that all of these girls live in the SE (or just about). Anyway, I am so encouraged by your transparency. It spurs me on to be more open on our blog (which I am not). I hide things because I do not want folks to see my sin. What pride I have!

I am right there with you; we all are. What I have learned is that we all have issues. Everyone. No one is immune. If someone paints their life as perfect, it's a falsehood. I struggle with this is huge ways. I look at others (even yes, moms like you!) and think of the "perfect" life. But, thankfully, I have transparent friends who remind me that there are trials where they are, too! That having "this or that" will not satisfy my desires completely!

After reading this, I am so reminded of Phil. 4:11-13, and mainly, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."Abiding in christ. Yes, LB, you took action to your thoughts, and spent time abiding in Christ Jesus. Isn't he the only one who can truly satisfy? YES he is!

Be encouraged and thanks so much for commenting and sharing. Seriously, it's a ministry to others!

Milla said...

Hey Laura Beth! I loved reading your blog post. Having time like that with friends is so sweet. I just crave it sometimes!

I also loved hearing about your struggle. Isn't it funny how easy it is to be discontent? I have been going through the same thing lately, as many of our friends here have finished their degrees and are moving to exciting places to get big jobs. After every goodbye, I get all discontent and sad. I have to catch myself sometimes and just be thankful for how we're blessed here!

Thanks so much for sharing. I loved hearing your heart. You certainly make me look forward to motherhood, as you are so open and honest about the pleasures and the struggles!

Amanda said...

Laura Beth, I really loved your post. Thanks for being so real. I'm sorry that you felt out of place a bit. Wait a year or so and I think we will have more "dorky" moms in the group :) Which by the way made me laugh because you are FAR from dorky! ha!
Also, I never told you this, but the weekend in ATL with you, seeing you in "action" with Ada freaked me out a little. Just the reality of having a baby. As I spent time thinking about the weekend that following week my heart really started to grow and desire that. The awareness of being a mom scared me and encouraged me all at the same time. It really helped me to see my own selfishness and desire more selflessness if that makes sense. Anyway, I hope that encourages you. I feel like I have already learned so much from you. From blogs and conversations. Thanks for being a sweet friend!

Rachel said...

I so relate to what you were feeling! My friends do not have children yet, and it seems they are living such "glamorous" lives with their husbands- do whatever they want, when they want. Whenever I start feeling sorry for myself, I just remember that the Lord has entrusted me with the most important job in the world- being a parent- most days it still scares me to death though! I force myself to remember that the Lord does not give us more than we can handle.

LB said...

thanks for all the comments girls. It is encouraging to hear that I am not alone in my struggles!!

And isn't that the ultimate prayer, Ashley, that we might learn the secret to being content in ALL circumstances--thanks for the reminder.

The Slagleys said...

LB- thanks for the honesty... I think we can all relate! I just have to remind myself of the "what is next?" feeling that I always get. When you are in college, you are dying to be done with school; when you are working, you are dying to be home; when you are dating, you are dying to get married; when you don't have kids, you are dying to have a family, etc. (At least that is the case for me!) I was at dinner with 3 single friends recently and I was feeling VERY out of place- and out of nowhere, one of the girls told me that she had to admit her jealousy of my life as a stay at home mom... I was floored! But, it was like God was reminding me of where I had been just a year or so before. I also have to make myself remember that my security and comfort come from God alone, and not from any circumstances in life. I am so glad that you were able to trust Him and just enjoy the weekend instead of letting those thoughts get to you! He has you right where He wants you!

Katie B said...

i just want to say you are the furthest thing from a dork.. you are still the same, cool, hip LB... you just have very cute accessory in your life... (well, more than an accessory- a family but you know what I mean...) All that to say i don't think of you any differently and am so thankful and learn so much from you! Your life is so purposeful and precious!