Wednesday, June 4, 2008

it's summertime at the Moore house

I have a slight addiction to sunshine and being tan. I am trying to overcome this addiction due to the reality of skin cancer. However, I naturally associate summer with pools, lying out, and, let's face it, a great tan. Last summer I was so very pregnant. So pregnant, in fact, that at least weekly, complete strangers asked me if I was having twins. Because I was five feet tall, there was no where for my stomach to go but out, and by June, I was fairly miserable. The one place that I could find relief was in our apartment swimming pool. The pool was empty during the day, and I could get in the water and feel weightless and stay cool. It was the perfect solution, and it allowed me to get a tan despite the pregnancy. Plus, if I was going to be that huge, it helped to be tan--you know?

Well June has arrived out of nowhere, and here it is summer time again. Now, as little as I take care of my own skin, I am, if anything, over protective of Ada's white, white red headed skin. I do, however, think that all children need to spend some time outside everyday. So, I bought spf 55 baby sunscreen, a baby pool with a little shade type thing, and Ada and I headed outside today for my first afternoon of lying out in the sun. It did not go so well. Ada loves to sit in the bathtub and splash and play, so, naturally, I thought she would love the baby pool. Not so. She wanted to crawl in and out of the pool instead. She did love it when the hose was on, filling up the pool, and she even stuck her head under the hose at one point. Once the pool was full, and I turned off the water, she did not want to sit and play. The pool was on our concrete back patio, so, obviously, I couldn't let her climb in and out on her own. I did let her crawl around on the patio, though, and we stayed out there for a little while, but I certainly wouldn't call it a successful first day of lying out. Oh well, we will try again tomorrow, and I will try to record the event with photos.

On a happier summer note, I am headed to the beach this weekend with all of my best college friends. I am so excited. Scott's parents are coming to stay with Scott and Ada, so I won't even have to worry about Scott being here all alone. I am so thankful that Ada has two sets of grandparents that love her so much and are always willing to help out. Last time I was at the beach I was 9 months pregnant, and it rained the whole time, so I am so looking forward to this weekend. Best friends and a weekend in the beach--it doesn't get any better.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay for the beach! I can't wait! Your laying out pregnant story reminds me of something a friend of mine says. "brown fat is better looking than white fat"!

Milla said...

Awww! That sounds like so much fun! I wish I could be there too!

I agree.. brown fat is better! :)

LB said...

how far are you from Pensacola, Milla? If not too far, you should join us. For some reason, I keep imagining that you live so far away, but I am not sure if that is true.

The Slagleys said...

A suntan is hard to come by these days! I go out to my parents' house and put Kate down for a nap and lay out with her monitor on so I can hear her. I don't even care about the tan as much as I love just lying there with nothing else to do! Lazy- maybe! But, it is a nice break from the constant mommy jobs!

Carrie said...

LB, thank you so much for the comment on my post yesterday! It is good to know that I am not alone in crazily mourning moving up a diaper size!! I took Noah to our pool Wednesday and covered him in sunscreen. He did really well. Only I forgot myself and I am fried! Does red fat look better than white fat?

jane said...

you could cover the baby pool area with towels(they will get wet-- but they would be softer to land on than concrete) my friend suggested this for the soft bottomed pools when not on grass.
ada looks adorable in her bathing suit!