Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Traditions and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta

I have several things that I want to say about Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, including a Christmas parade in downtown Atlanta, Macy's Pink Pig ride, Christmas cards that benefit the hospital, and 25% off at the Children's gift shop, but this post will only include information about the parade, and I will be back later to finish up the rest of what I want to say.

The parade is this Saturday, December 4th, so I wanted to get the info. out there just in case I have any ATL area readers who are interested in the event. 

Here's the deal.  The parade begins at 10:30 am at Peachtree St. near Baker St., and it is on, rain or shine (or freezing cold weather).  And of course, the star of the show will be there--Santa himself.  The parade is free, but there is the option of purchasing streetside bleacher seats for 12.00.  There is also paid parking available, or you can opt to ride Marta--the Five Points and Peachtree Center Marta will put you in walking distance of the parade.  The parade will finish up around noon on Centennial Olympic Park Drive, giving you plenty of time to get where you need to get to watch the SEC Championship--I'm just saying;)  Go to the link above to see the entire parade route.

I grew up going to my small town's Christmas parade every year, and I LOVED it.  It wasn't Christmas without the parade.  I am thinking that ATL's Christmas parade is a whole other ball game--the largest in the Southeast.  Because Ada is now a big 3 YEARS OLD and really into Christmas, I am really putting thought into traditions that we are beginning for her.  Tonight we decorated our tree, and she was jumping up and down she was so excited.  I am hoping that the parade and Macy's Pink Pig ride will be on our list of yearly events (more on that ride later).

I recently had the opportunity to meet with three other mom bloggers to tour Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and speak to several people who work for Children's.  I was nothing less than impressed with what I saw there.  Really.  It was a really neat (terrible word choice there) opportunity to see how much those doctors and nurses and staff love those children who are patients there.  I was able to see the rooms, the PT area, school rooms and recreational areas for the patients, and the place that was closest to my heart--the NICU.  I choose to deliver my babies at Northside Hospital for several reasons, but one of the many is the fact that Children's is right across the street.  Had John needed surgery of any kind, he would have been in Children's NICU instead of Northside's.

(side note:  I truly was so excited to see the NICU, simply because it is a special place to me now, and just as that portion of the tour started, I got the word from downstairs in childcare that John was crying and wanted to eat--of course.  I did get to see the room, though, and the STATE OF THE ART beds.  Amazing.  They can actually do surgery right there in the NICU infant beds if needed.  Crazy stuff.)

Anyway...I just want to let you all know that the parade is this Saturday at 10:30, and all proceeds benefit Children's Healthcare of Atlanta!!!  Spread the word.

No comments: