Friday, October 15, 2010

What is the goal?

We have had a hard week here at the Moore house.  Ada has been sick with a sore throat, which is an understatement.  I took her to the doctor on Tuesday, and she had ulcers on her throat.  Ouch!!  She has had no voice except for a whisper, and she has been so pitiful.  It made for a couple of very long nights.  Now that she is getting better but still feels somewhat "under the weather," her behavior is out of control, and my patience is wearing thin, thin.  So...these verses that I read today were just the ticket to get my eye on the goal and off of the daily stuff that "entangles" me.

Give ear, O my people, to my teaching;
incline your ears to the words of my mouth!
I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings from old,
things that we have heard and known,
that our fathers have told us
We will not hide them from their children,
but tell them to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might,
and the wonders he has done.


He established a testimony in Jacob
and appointed a law in Israel,
which he commanded our fathers
to teach to their children,
that the next generation might know them,
the children yet unborn,
and arise and tell them to their children,
so that they should set their hope in God
and not forget the works of God,
but keep his commandments;


Psalm 78:  1-7

When it is hard for me to see past the children's tylenol and the piles of dirty dishes and the time outs and the spankings and the endless discipline, I am reminded that this is so much more than the day to day.  Generations upon generations are depending on this.  Generations upon generations are dependent on diligent parenting, on my not dropping the ball.  And the best news of all?  God's grace is sufficient for this day-to-day parenting.  In his sovereignity, He made me, absolutely inadequate me, a mother, and All that he asks, he provides.



1 comment:

SGN said...

You should read this post from another blog I read regularly. I found it encouraging and helpful. Hopefully you will too. :o)
Keep hanging in there with those little ones. You are a fantastic mom!

http://thefarriswheel.blogspot.com/2010/10/havin-come-apart.html