Monday, May 17, 2010

Another Monday, Another Week of Meals

This is the nitty gritty of motherhood. 

The scouring the pantry and the fridge to see what I have on hand.  The lists of items needed, and the flipping of cook book pages and internet searches to see what I can do with what I have.  These people need to eat, and I would like for them to eat well. 

To top it all off, there is that boring little thing we call the budget.  Always the budget.  So, I pour over my favorite websites.  What is on sale this week?  What coupons do I have?  How can I make it all come together to feed my family, provide nutrition and comfort all at the same time?  And how can I stay sane in the process. 

There is much to think about, you see.  Scott will have bible study on Tuesday night, so I need something simple.  He won't be around to help with baths or cleaning up the kitchen.  Frozen pizza it is.  And if we do frozen pizza on Tuesday, well I would like something good and homey for Wednesday to make up for it.  So here we go.  This is what I came up with.

Tonight--pork roast, oven roasted potatoes, green beans  (potatoes on sale, pork roast on sale, green beans in the freezer)
Tuesday--frozen pizza, salad (pizza in the freezer, salad on sale)
Wednesday--chicken fried steak (cubed steak in the freezer), mashed potatoes, lima beans
Thursday--AUBURN!!!  Hopefully we will be eating Big Blue Bagel or something equally wonderful
Friday--chicken tetrazzini, salad, bread (chicken in the freezer, other ingredients in the pantry)

and then I will start the process all over again.  You see, when I gave up teaching for this new job of motherhood, cook was in the job description.  Along with dishwasher and toilet scrubber.  It's not always glamorous folks, but somebody has to take care of these little chickadees, and I am it. 

And of course, we will eat eggs for breakfast with whole grain toast and butter.  We like to eat real butter around here.  And probably peanut butter and jelly for lunch.  Or a turkey sandwich with a side of strawberries.  And to break it up, maybe a black bean quesadilla in the middle of the week.  I can only eat so much peanut butter, you know.  What will be on your table this week?

Need some inspiration?  Head over here for lots and lots and lots of meal ideas.

No comments: