Monday, May 12, 2008

My First Mother's Day

My first mother's day as a mom has come and gone, and it was just fabulous. Scott says he's glad mother's day comes before Father's Day because now I have to make father's day just as wonderful.

I spent Saturday with my McDonough "mom-friend," Ashley. We started with pedicures at a spa here in town, where we talked labor and delivery with the two women doing our pedicures. What can I say, get some moms together and you're bound to talk labor or nursing. We all have our stories, don't we? I felt so incredibly pampered. The spa was followed by lunch and shopping in downtown McDonough. I even discovered a cute little, fairly affordable, boutique, and I ended up buying a dress to wear to Sheffer's wedding. That just added to the fabulousness. By this time, I was ready to get home and see the little rascal who makes me a mom. She was sleeping when I got home, but I couldn't wait to go get here when she woke up!! Scott even bought me the cutest card that was "from Ada." A very successful day indeed.

Sunday was just a relaxing day spent at home. Scott and I watched August Rush, which I really enjoyed. I did have to miss community group because Ada was extra fussy, and we just felt like it would be better to put her down in her own bed than to take her over to the McCormick's, where we meet, so Scott went on without me. I put Ada to bed, and spent the rest of the night watching Gilmore Girls on dvd until Scott got home. Plus, I marked off another run. Yea for two weeks of pink x's!!

Right now I am reading the book, Family Driven Faith, lent to me by Ashley Turnbull, and it is quite the appropriate book to be reading during Mother's Day weekend. The author,Voddie Bauchum, challenging parents to take primary responsibility for discipling their children, makes the point that clearly God believes we are capable of discipling this child if He sent the child home with us. That is both a humbling and encouraging truth to hear because it reminds me that it was not an accidental event the day that I found out I was pregnant. When God formed Ada, he purposefully made Scott and me her parents. What overwhelming responsibility!! But, in his book, Bauchum reminds me that God has equipped with everything that I need to be her mother and to raise her to live a life that is glorifying to God. I am so thankful, overwhelmingly so, in fact, that I get to play a role in her life. Thank you, Lord, for this little girl. And thank you for my own mother who showed me what purposeful parenting looks like. I certainly have a new appreciation for my mother on this mother's day. My life has never been so saturated with emotion, both good and bad, since I found out that I was pregnant with Ada. I am so glad, and humbled, that I get to be her mom.

4 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

I'm so glad that the book is ministering to you! Praise the Lord. And, praise the Lord for your fun Mother's Day outing! Mr. Turnbull best be writing all of these things down =).

LB said...

hey Ashley, I just finished the book, and I sent you a message on facebook with some thoughts. I want to hear your thoughts on the family integrated church.

Laura Forman said...

This sounds like a great book...I think that I am going to have to find my own copy since we are beginning our little family with Sadie very soon!

Melissa said...

Laura Beth~ I felt the same way on Mother's Day! It is such a wonderfully overwhelming and challenging role we (in our case) were ushered into...I love what your book said about God equipping us and thinking us 'capable' to disciple our children from the moment we brought them home from the hospital. Scary and humbling thought that I am reminded of daily!! Thanks for this post:-)