Saturday, May 17, 2008

Reentering the world of fashion design, step 1

So...if you have perused the blogs I link to at all, you might have discovered that I read quite a few sewing blogs. The reason being that despite my big decision to leave fashion design behind and enter the world of writing and literary theory, there is still something in me itching to create. And with a new baby and a new house and a limited income, I am DYING to get my hands on a sewing machine. Well, I have been doing lots of research online. Googling things like "what I need as a beginner sewer." Every search has led me to believe that I must buy my first sewing machine from an actual sewing shop, not a chain such as Target or Wal-Mart. Apparently if you buy your machine from an actual specialty store, the owners really help you out with picking out the machine, learning how to use the machine, fixing the machine should it break, etc. etc. Plus, they sometimes throw in a few free sewing lessons. This leads me to today.

Scott and I were out driving around, doing a little exploring of this place we now call home, and we stumbled upon our very own sewing shop. Obviously, I had to go in. And I even talked to a salesperson about which machine would be right for me. Then, the best part of all, she lead me over to the machine, and she encouraged me to try it out. And it was wonderful. And I remembered all the things that I did love about fashion design. Scott was watching all of this unfold, and he knew before we even left the store, that I HAVE to have this machine. Of course, it is so far out of budget right now, that it's insane. But each week I am tutoring and making a few dollars, and we both agreed that those paychecks will start going in a separate account until there are enough dollars to purchase the machine, and then I am on my way. The possibilities are endless. And I just can't wait.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

That sounds like so much fun! More and more over the past couple of years, I have wished I knew how to sew. My sister has taken some classes, and I am currently trying to talk her into making me some simple curtains. Good luck!

Lindsay said...

How cool! Maybe I can hire you to make me some pillows and drapes one day!

The Slagleys said...

That is great- I started sewing after I got a machine for Christmas, but I have slowed down a little with this new pregnancy... I am basically just being lazy! I got a sewing/embroidery combo and I like that! Since it was a gift, I have missed out on having the sewing store people explain things to me, but my mom can sew very well, so she has been helpful. Your post reminded me that I need to post some pictures of the things I have made for Kate!

Patricia Bunk said...

I just wanted to encourage you to get into sewing. I have recently gotten back into sewing. I have to say it is wonderful to be creative again. I never went to school the fashion design school in New York City when I was young. Now, I am able to learn. You will have to visit my blog to find out what things I am creating. Don't forget there is always handsewing.