Friday, May 9, 2008

So many things to say about Ada

Okay, I am aware that most of you probably don't want to know all of these little stories about Ada because there are so many that happen everyday. But as her mom, I have to record them, so bear with me, please:)

I am going to try to post pictures to go along with each of these things, but I sometimes mess up the picture thing.

1. A few days ago, I needed to take a shower because it was getting later and later in the day, and I was still in my pajamas. The shower situation has been hard because my best bet is to shower while Ada is asleep. The problem is, Ada's room backs up to our bathroom, so it sometimes wakes her up. I was showering downstairs, but that is the guest bathroom, and I prefer to keep it as clean as possible to save myself some cleaning time when guests come. Anyway, back to a few days ago. I needed to take a shower, and Ada is too big for her upstairs exersaucer, so I put her in the bathroom with me and shut the door, thinking she could play while I took a shower. Instead, as soon as I got in, she crawled over to the very edge of the shower, sat down right in the corner, and cried as hard as she could until I got out. She kept pulling the curtain back and looking up at me, so upset. I was not sure if she was scared of the water, or if she wanted to get in the shower, or what was going on in her head. But, it made for a quick shower. (by the way, I got the camera and took a picture when I got out of the shower. I don't keep a camera in the shower with me--ha, ha)


2. Okay, fast forward to today. I was sitting at the computer in our bedroom, and she was crawling around. All of a sudden I realized it was fairly quiet, so I went to check on her. I found her sitting in the shower stall playing with the shampoo bottles, and her pants were soaking wet. I guess the tears from a few days ago were because she wanted to get in the shower and couldn't figure out how.
3. Another story from today. We have had trouble putting her down for naps lately, which I suspect is because of her tooth coming through. She just cries a lot harder than usual when we put her down, and we usually end up rocking her for quite a while. Well, today was no different when I put her down for her morning nap, except after some crying it suddenly got very quiet. Too quiet, in fact, so, again, I went to check on her. This time I found her in her bed, an open bottle of teething tablets, and a white mouth. I panicked because I had no idea how many she had eaten (or how she had gotten them, for that matter). Once I gathered up the tablets, the bottle was still fairly full, so I think she's okay. And they didn't seem to give her much relief, so she couldn't have taken too many. Again, no idea how she got the tablets.


4. Okay, final story. Ada is in the stage where she is exploring everything--I have mentioned this several times. One of her favorite things to explore are the electrical outlets in our house. I am trying to teach her "no-no" when she touches them, and to reinforce the no-no, I have been squeezing the hand she used to touch the outlet. Well, it has not been affective AT ALL. I don't think the no-no or the squeezing bother her in the slightest. In fact, a little while ago, she was playing with the outlet, and I went through the hand squeezing process. She looked up at me, smiled, took her hand, and squeezed my other hand. Oh dear, the discipline thing is not going so well, so far.

And that's my Ada, today. Always keeping on my toes. I am posting some other random pictures, including one of my dining room. In the spirit of all the home improvement posts that have been floating around lately, I decided to post a picture of the one room in the house I have actually painted. It doesn't have any furniture, though.

Ada right after a nap. I love those red cheeks, sleepy eyes, and messed up hair.
She's got her headband and water--ready for her own half-marathon training.

Lunch time!! Prunes and harvest vegetables. Yummy.And...my dining room. The color is sassafras tea.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I love all the pictures and updates. Ada is so cute. And how do you keep a white couch clean! I love white furniture but I can't get the nerve do it. I also really like your dining room color. I'm glad you have posted some house pictures. It is fun to get a visual of where you spend most your day.

Lindsay said...

Your dining room looks great! But uh oh, it sounds like Ada's going to need more than a squeeze of the hand! We'll be praying for you guys...I'm sure it's really hard trying to figure out the way God would have you discipline your child. Maybe y'all can write a book as you go so that those of us who have kids later will have something to go on! I love the pic of Ada in the shower, that is too cute!

Ann said...

Hey! So funny about the shower. Uh-oh about the discipline. Might have a little Ellie on your hands? It was crazy how different it was when I started saying no-no to Luke. I barely had to tell him and that was it. It kind of threw me at first. So nice, though. I can still tell Ellie no about something and she will look straight at me and continue to do it. What's the latest with painting the other parts of the house?

Milla said...

I love the updates! The shower pictures crack me up. Ada really just has so much personality! I love the paint color, too! So pretty!

The Slagleys said...

Sounds like we both have strong willed children! The hand squeeze never worked for Kate. I had to slap it, which didn't work, then pinch it (pretty hard) and that works most of the time. I have even had to spank her leg a few times because she doesn't even notice the hand spankings and she will keep doing it. I know it sounds like I am so mean, but I only do it for blatant disobedience and dangerous things!