Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thursday Stuff

Another thing to mark in the baby book--Ada pulled up yesterday. April 30, 2008. She has been trying for so long. I left the room for one second yesterday, and when I came back she was standing up. And today, she has perfected her pulling up. She has even figured out how to sit back down. This is adding new challenges to our life because she nows like to pull up to a surface and knock everything onto the floor. We have not baby proofed the house because it was only two weeks ago that she couldn't even crawl. She follows me everywhere now, and she can now stand up in her baby bed and scream when she doesn't want to go to sleep. She also throws her pacifier out of the bed and screams until I go in there and retrieve it for her. All these new challenges do add up to a more satisfied baby, I think. It seems like she has wanted to be on the go for so long, and she has finally received a tiny bit of independence. She even figured out how to support her weight on the table, let go, and clap. She loves to clap. She starts clapping and looks around to make sure everyone is watching. She wants someone to respond by saying, "yea, Ada," at which point she grins hugely and claps even harder. She is already all about being the center of attention. We'll have to start memorizing some verses on humility;).

She has had a cold the past few days, as I mentioned in a previous blog, but she started feeling better yesterday. However, I think she passed the cold to me. I have TERRIBLE allergies in the spring, but last night I began to feel a scratch in my throat that did not seem like allergies, and it continued to get worse this morning. I finally bought some non-drowsy cold medicine from Target, determined to get well before this weekend--I don't want a repeat of last year!! Despite being labeled non-drowsy, the medicine made me so tired. Luckily, Ada took an extra long afternoon nap, and I slept the entire time that she slept. The plan was to clean all day, not sleep!! So I am looking at a long night of cleaning my house. My laundry room is upstairs, and this has proved to be a problem. I usually just take the clothes out of the dryer, throw them in the hallway, and put the clean clothes into the dryer. I usually fold them, but then they sit in piles in the hallway for days, as Scott and I just step over them. I think if the laundry room was downstairs, I would be more proactive in actually folding and putting the laundry away. Needless to say, I have LOTS of clothes to put up before I can actually do any cleaning.

Despite the fact that I still have 5 lbs of baby weight to get rid of, the scale has started to slowly inch its way up, so I have to put my foot on the brake. It's not that I am dying over an extra 5 lbs, but if I let 5 lbs stick around with every baby--well, you do the math. So...I am thankful for this website, The Daily Plate. You can plug in your numbers, find out how many calories you need to eat to lose a pound a week, and you can see where all of your calories are coming from. In the process I discovered that I eat WAY too much protein and fat, and not nearly enough carbs. In college I was all about the South Beach Diet, and a fear of carbs stuck around after the diet was over. Because I realized I needed more carbs and more veggies, I have been making a yummy dinner of stir fry vegetables and whole grain rice all week. It's so good, and so healthy. I found a very simply recipe on Kraftfoods.com, and Scott and I are just sad that we didn't discover the meal sooner.

Final thing to report--another pink X has made it's home on my training chart. Three days of running marked off. Yea!!! And yesterday's run wasn't too bad. I did have a terrible side stitch because I ran right after dinner, but that can be prevented, of course. Another run down. Slowly, but surely, they are adding up.

p.s. my aunt made a request for pictures. They are coming, I promise. I have to buy new batteries for the camera, hence the lack of photos lately, but soon, very soon, new Ada pics will be posted.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Do you cook your rice with chicken broth or water?

LB said...

I just used water, but I think chicken broth would be much better.