Friday, November 21, 2008

Something worth reading, and the usual Friday frugality

As I have mentioned before, I love the blog Of First Importance (fellow English people--or whoever else might know, are blog titles italicized? They are the title of a long work, right? That is something I did not learn in school). Daily this blog provides a gospel centered quote, which always gets the day off to a good start, even if things take a turn for the worse only five minutes later. In light of the week we have had, today's post was quite encouraging. I really think that it is worth reading if you have a second.

And now on to today's story of saving money.

We have a professional photo session scheduled today, our first one since Ada was born. I really wanted newborn photos made, but I never found anyone I liked that I could even slightly afford. Cindy Stansbury, today's photographer, is new to the photography world, but I love her work. Because she is new, she is incredibly affordable, and it is such a blessing because otherwise today's session would not be happening. As affordable as she may be, however, the session is still not included in our weekly budget, so this is a very tight week. On top of the photography session, Ada is in desperate need of winter clothes. As in, I can't continue to take her to Target in her footie pajamas. That may have worked at 3 months, not so much at 15 months. This cold really snuck up on me, and poor Ada has nothing to wear. All of that to say, we are really, really cutting the grocery budget down to the barest of bones. Milk, eggs, bread, peanut butter--that's the grocery list this week.

However, we will not be suffering thanks to the Grocery Game and stockpiling. We have plenty of good meals planned, and I am only buying absolute necessities at the store. Stockpiling truly is the way to go. I used to be skeptical because to me it meant more money spent, but once you get the hang of it, it saves hundreds of dollars. Truly, it does. I really think stockpiling is the key to successful couponing. This week, I will be taking a break from stockpiling (except for BOGO chicken breasts at Kroger), so that I can stay within budget even with the extra money spent on clothing.

Speaking of, here is my second money saved story. This morning, Ada and I were at Carter's when the doors opened to finally buy the poor girl some winter clothes. I planned to spend 50.00, not a penny more, and luckily, Carter's is having a HUGE sale--everything 50-60% off. Because of that sale, I was able to pick out 4 outfits and still stay under 50.00. Well, I was standing in line behind another mom and her newborn son, and she turned to me to ask if I needed a coupon. Obviously, I eagerly said yes, and this complete stranger handed me a coupon for 20% off my entire purchase. I had to spend at least 50.00 to use the coupon, so I picked out an extra outfit, and I ended up paying less for 5 outfits than I would have paid for four without the coupon. Seriously, the Lord keeps on providing, ya'll. Ada really needed those five outfits.

p.s. Target is really slacking in the clothing department these days. I did some research before deciding what to buy, and I was able to buy more at Carter's than I would have at Target. Come on Target, step it up, please. Question for frugal moms out there, where is your favorite place to shop for affordable children's clothing?

10 comments:

Amanda said...

The coupon "gods" are smiling down on you (wink). Great deals! I agree that Target is slacking on regular womens clothing too. I can't find anything there this season! Can you?

Milla said...

I also agree about Target! I haven't found anything great either! Good luck with the photo session. I can't wait to see the results.

LB said...

yes, ya'll, I agree about Target women's clothing. I looked there for something to wear in the pictures, and there was NOTHING. What's the deal? Back at the beginning of the season, there was a sweater dress that I wanted, but it is gone, and I have not found anything else!!

Jenny said...

Hi LB, I've been reading your blog through the Harman's blog. My family is in a very similar situation where we are pinching pennies everywhere! I've found that consignment shops are good places to find clothes cheap...I've gotten lots of stuff there for my son, many items that still have their tags on them! There is a GREAT shop in Tyrone, called Red Door Consignment. Everything there is inspected before it's taken, and if it has the slightest stain or tear, they won't take it! Check it out!

Amy said...

Ok, so there is an actual true Carter's outlet in Barnesville, GA. It's not owned by Carter's. It's a true 'outlet' that gets all year old or so Carter's clothes. Twice a year all the summer and winter stuff goes an additional 20% off already low prices. It's worth the drive at those times of the year. The number there is 770-358-1263. It's nothing like the 'outlet' at Tanger. You'll just have to go to see for yourself.

Bethany said...

I also agree regarding the selection at Target for womens and childrens clothing. However, I did finally see a cute coat (pea coat syle) for Caroline that I will have to buy for her new winter coat. I am a true southern girl when it comes to dressing Caroline in dresses. I buy all her smocked dresses off of Ebay and I make her matching hairbows. I have also scooped up tons of deals at the Children's Place Outlet for hanging out and play clothes. But you have to be careful because some of their little girl clothes are too "old" and not age appropriate.

Bethany said...

Mt. Carmel Park does have little equipment for children our age. It's almost like they have small, medium, large, and extra large! I agree with you...I love staying at home with Caroline, but it does get lonely. We joined the Henry County Infants and Toddlers Group (found on Yahoo groups). We have only gone to a few of the outings, but have enjoyed them. We will be out of town for Thanksgiving, but will be back next week. We should meet up since we are both in the same area! Caroline could use some more socialization. She still doesn't really know how to play with others. I have her in KidsPlay, but sometimes that doesn't seem like enough interaction. By the way, your friend Tutti, does she have a daughter named Ruth?

jane said...

the seasonal consignment sales are the key... there are couple i like the most and usually the ones that are earlier are better b/c you are getting first pick of what people are going to sell(a lot of moms will sell leftover clothes at lateer sales if that makes sense)... but the ones for fall/winter happened a couple of months ago so you have to think ahead of the weather.thebargainwatcher.com is where you can find out about upcoming sales anywhere.

Unknown said...

I totally agree about Target's childrens selections. I have a 2yr daughter and the clothes are not that great, and what they do have is pretty expensive. I love carters though...congrats on the great deal!

Suehaad said...

Ebay--no doubt-the best deals for quality/super cute stuff.