Thursday, December 10, 2009

Good News on this very cold Thursday Morning

“The heart of most religions is good advice, good techniques, good programs, good ideas, and good support systems. These drive us deeper into ourselves, to find our inner light, inner goodness, inner voice, or inner resources.

Nothing new can be found inside of us. There is no inner rescuer deep in my soul; I just hear echoes of my own voice telling me all sorts of crazy things to numb my sense of fear, anxiety, and boredom, the origins of which I cannot truly identify.

But the heart of Christianity is Good News. It comes not as a task for us to fulfill, a mission for us to accomplish, a game plan for us to follow with the help of life coaches, but as a report that someone else has already fulfilled, accomplished, followed, and achieved everything for us.”

—Michael Horton, The Gospel-Driven Life (Grand Rapids, MI; Baker Books, 2009), 20

(From Of First Importance)

Long lay the world world in sin and error pining
Til he appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!

Weary is a good word to describe how I have been feeling lately. Weary of budgeting and finances; weary of housekeeping and the mess that never ends; weary of braxton hicks contractions and many, many extra pounds to carry around. What a reminder that anything that might make me weary this morning has been answered in the birth and death of Christ!! I pray that I might rejoice today in spite of trivial circumstances that might make me feel discouraged!!

The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger
In all our trials born to be our friend

5 comments:

Jessica said...

great to read today...thanks for sharing that.

Mary Ann said...

The quote from Michael Horton's The Gospel Driven Life is so good. When I was attending Eastwood Church in Montgomery in 1994, Michael Horton spoke at the church. I don't remember his exact words, but whatever he said was the first time I realized the total sinful condition of my heart, and the extent to which Christ lowered himself to pay the debt I should have paid.

I have not read The Gospel Driven Life, but may have to buy it.

Love you guys.

Elizabeth said...

LB - hey - in response to your comment on my blog - yes, that line from that gorgeous hymn is like a balm to the soul - isn't it? Mary Ann's comment - Michael Horton is her guy - he was the instrument that turned God used to turn on the light for her. I remember all of that. Frank Barker turned on the light for me, per God's moving him - Those people tend to be our heroes. They threw us the life preserver is how I like to put it.

Lauren said...

I enjoyed this post so much!! Thanks for sharing.

Nicole said...

thanks for this post. I needed to hear that.