Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I need your help

I am feeling so very organized this morning. Last night, all of sudden, I decided that I must take inventory of what I have in my freezer, pantry, and spice cabinet. Poor Scott got dragged into the project, but he was a trooper, and he wrote everything down as I called it out. I really think this is going to make meal planning and stock piling more efficient. For example, I found out that I still have three packs of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts in the freezer, and I thought that I was out of them. This is great news because there are three different families who I will be delivering meals to over the next few weeks, and I am thinking I will do chicken tetrazzini because I have most of the ingredients on hand. Yea. Anyway...all of this to say, that I also realized that I still have two lbs of ground chicken in my freezer. It was marked down very low one day at Kroger, so I bought it, but I have never cooked with ground chicken. Can you help me?

What should I use this for? What do I do with it? I need recipes, ideas, anything. Please, help me. You all really came through when I asked about pork tenderloin, and now we are major pork tenderloin eaters around here. We love it!! Please, turn us into ground chicken eaters, or at least eaters of what is in our freezer. I will be forever grateful;)

And just to keep my family interested, here is a picture of Ada:) She is really into feeding herself these days, and she really wants to use a spoon, so mealtime is usually a battle and always messy.

9 comments:

Suehaad said...

i have a great recipe for chicken soft tacos--almost as good as taco bell and without the msg! ground chicken soft tacos would be yummy! call me for the recipe if that's what you decide to do.

The Murphrees said...

I would recommend mixing it with ground beef...I know that is weird but you could make meatloaf with it. I tried just using ground chicken in hamburgers one time and they are awful the texture was way off. So mixing the two meats was recommended to me to solve the texture problem. Good luck! I need ideas too bc ground chicken is so healthy.

Amanda said...

I have never cooked with ground chicken but I assume if you use it in quesidillas with taco seasoning it would be good. If you find some good recipes post them. I always battle the what do I do with chicken issue. Also, I cooked a pork tenderloin Friday night and it was delicious. First I seared it on high in a skillet on the stove top. Searing kinda 'seals' it. Then I baked it for 45 minutes on 350 and it was sooo moist. The searing really keeps it juicy but cooked through. Lmac gave me that idea. I just seasoned it with Lawlers seasoning, garlic salt and some salt and pepper (just what I had on had). Yum.

Jenny said...

Hi LB...I've got a recipe for Spicy Chicken Spaghetti, in which you use ground chicken. I'd be happy to share it with you if you're interested!

Ashley Turnbull said...

Abby Carmichael made chicken spaghetti for us the other night, and it was grand. Really, I thought it might be weird, but it was delicious and healthy. I can get the recipe from her if you want.

Unknown said...

Rachel Ray has a ton of good-sounding recipes using ground chicken. She uses it in place of ground beef. Let us know if you find a good recipe!

Hollen said...

Hmm..I don't think that I have ever had that before. Sounds good! I hope that you get a good recipe to go make with it. Oh, Ada is so very cute!! :)
Hollen

Stephanie said...

I want the recipe for the chicken spaghetti!! LOL

Elizabeth said...

Hello Sweetie,

Well - I think that a few times I've cooked with ground turkey, which is similar - you know you could use the ground chicken in White Chicken Chili - when we normally use chunks of cooked chicken. Just brown the ground chicken with onion and garlic - and then add the other stuff. It will be like regular chili that uses ground beef. That chicken soft taco sounds good. MOM