Saturday, February 28, 2009

Gold's Gym and I are not on speaking terms

Okay, so as I said earlier, I had big plans to buy a "class pass" for Gold's Gym, which would allow me to take classes without actually becoming a member. I was under the impression that I would pay 31.00 and get 20 classes. I figured that I could make that pass last me for six weeks, and I felt like that was a great deal. So, I gathered up two laundry baskets full of pre-baby clothes, and a bag full of shoes, and I headed to Plato's Closet to try to get the 31.00. Well, the workers picked through my stuff and settled on 15 items out of the piles that I brought. When I saw the small pile that they agreed to take, I was sure that it was not 31.00 worth, but they told me that they would give me 42.00 for it!!!! I was, of course, very excited. The story takes a turn for the worse here.

This past week I had a free seven day pass to Gold's Gym, so I have been going to class all week, and Ada has been hanging out in the kid's area. It's been great, and I have already seen an increase in energy. Well, I talked to the worker earlier in the week about the class pass. I really thought that she told me that the pass was for 20 classes, and she certainly never mentioned a registration fee. Plus, Tutti (you remember Tutti, right?) has a class pass, and her's is for 20 classes. Okay, so I go to Gold's Gym today, oh so excited about buying my pass, and the girl tells me that there is a 39.00 registration fee, and that 31.00 will buy 12 classes. TWELVE CLASSES!! Okay, so I mentioned that I really thought it was for 20 classes, and I even asked if they had changed it recently. She said no and I think felt sorry for me because I can only imagine how my face fell in that moment. I came in prepared to pay 31.00 for 20 classes, and they were asking me to pay a total of 70.00 for 12 classes. It wasn't happening, folks. I sadly told her thanks anyway.

So, I got in my car, and I was feeling rather frustrated. It was the kind of frustrated where I felt the need to get a lot of energy out. I even called Scott and ranted and raved for a bit, and he was patient with me as I let out some of the frustration. Then we hung up, and then I called him back and ranted and raved some more. It wasn't my finest hour, ya'll.

But then the wheels in my head started to turn. I knew that I need exercise. I need it for both my mental and physical health--and, let's be honest, the health of my husband and daughter;), so I began to rack my brain. I had 42.00 in my purse, so I headed to Target. And here, the story gets better. I bought a new workout DVD--woo-hoo--The Firm: The 500 Calorie Workout. I spent for-stinkin-ever looking over each of the workout dvds that Target offered, and this seemed to offer the most similar workout to the ones at Gold's. I didn't want some puny little video that left me feeling like I had done nothing but take a stroll around the block. I need to sweat out all of my frustration and anxiety every single day, and those puny 30 minute dvds just don't cut it. But this dvd promises 60 minutes of very hard working out. And it also promises 500 calories burned. So, I snatched it up, along with some new hand weights, because the video said I would need them. And there you have it folks. I am still frustrated with Gold's Gym, but I have come up with a solution. I'll let you know how it goes.

In the mean time, do you have any suggestions for good work out videos? I imagine that eventually I will get tired of doing the same dvd every single day, so suggestions are welcome.

p.s. the reason I need a video is because Ada refuses to sit in the stroller, so running is out. Plus as soon as Scott gets home in the afternoon, I start tutoring, so running is out then too. A video is the best solution I could come up with--after the class pass that is.

5 comments:

SGN said...

Hey Laura Beth! This is Alison (I did your wedding photos a couple of years ago). I found your blog through some mutual friends and it has been awesome to read. Anyway, about the working out, I did have one suggestion-- If you have internet access at home you can always use http://www.exercisetv.tv/
They have free workout videos on there that you can do anytime and you can pick and choose which ones you do.
Good luck with working out!

rhodes1 said...

hey, I was just over at Ann's blog and saw that you were going to be home in a few weeks. Does that mean you'll be at home for spring break? In two weeks? That would be wonderful! I don't think I've seen Ada since Christmas.

By the way, I'm finally running a half-marathon tomorrow :) I wish you could work out the running thing, because I've really enjoyed it!

Ashley said...

I hate that Gold's Gym didn't work out for you. I know you were excited about that. I have one or two pilates videos. They give a swift kick when you don't expect it!

Maybe you and Ada can come over again this week, and we'll hook you up with the DVDs and some paint for your bathroom. Wednesday or Thursday would be great for us--plus it should be nice outside for the kiddos! Just give me a shout!

Jessica said...

Hey,

Now that you mention that..I think that was what turned me away a few years back when I tried to get that pass. I remember that registration fee...that's why I never did it...I wish I had remembered that prior to you going. I know that is such a let down!

I really like the Pick Your Spot Pilates...however..like you I really like to sweat when I'm working out...BUT this one doesn't make you do that although I will say it's a great workout video. I feel like it really tones and strengthens your core. I can bring it Thursday if you want to try it.

Hollen said...

Oh, too bad!!!! That is sooo frustrating. :( Glad that you found the videos at Target though! My mom did Pilates (spelling??? LOL) for a while and that is pretty good I think. :)
Hollen