Monday, February 9, 2009

Meal Planning

Here is the meal plan for the week. I am so glad to have finally reached a place where I can plan good meals for my family and still stay way under budget. I know that I have readers who are in the process of trying to figure out the whole coupon thing, and to you I say this, be patient. It takes time for it all to come together. I have been doing this for months now, and I am just now able to really see a drastic reduction in my grocery bill. Also, it is essential that you menu plan. You have to do it. That way you don't have to make last minute grocery store runs that destroy the budget. Trust me on this one.

I have a reader who requested that I post a recipe for the chicken leg quarters. I will be back later this week to do that. Until Publix had chicken leg quarters for .59 lb, I was always a boneless, skinless chicken breasts only kind of girl. I am now reformed, however. The skin and the bone add so much flavor and moisture to the chicken, not to mention the drastic price reduction. I used split chicken breasts from Kroger to make the chicken tacos, and again, I don't think I will go back to boneless, skinless. I do have several packages in the freezer, but unless they are at an unbelievable price, I don't think I will buy them again. My mom has been telling me this for years, and I finally understand what she was saying. Anyway...here's the week's budget. What are you cooking this week? I always love a good, easy recipe!!

Saturday night--chicken tacos, pinto beans, mexican rice

Sunday Lunch--leftover tacos, whatever for dinner

Monday night--forgot to take something out of the freezer, so we are eating a stouffer's skillet meal

Tuesday night--pintos and sausage over rice

Wednesday night--chicken in vodka sauce over pasta, bread

Thursday night--leftovers, find your own dinner night, frozen meal

lunches--chicken salad sandwiches, ham sandwiches, leftovers

breakfast/snacks--peanut butter toast, eggs, fiber one pop tarts, nutri grain bars, string cheese

for over 300 more menu ideas, check out this blog every Monday.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I'm not planning any meals. People are bringing me meals!! That helps when I am not having time to coupon. Although, I went to CVS today for the first time. Didn't get any great deals, but the Pampers were on sale. Also wanted to tell you they had chicken leg quarters on sale at Southern Family for .39/lb!

Amy said...

What's the difference between split chicken breasts and boneless skinless chk breasts?