Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Thankful. #s 51-60.



This past weekend I read The Hiding Place for the first time.

Oh my word.  I couldn't put the book down.  The entire story just blew me away (and left me with a heavy heart when I finally got to the end and the reality of what the concentration camp was like).  There was one part in particular that gave me chill bumps and caused a few tears to come to my eyes.

At the last concentration camp where Corrie Ten Boom and her sister Betsy were before Betsy died and Corrie was released, Corrie and Betsy were in a room (with so many other prisoners, stacked floor to ceiling when they slept at night) that was absolutely infested with fleas.  On the night that they arrived at the concentration camp, and they realized the room was covered in fleas, Corrie asked Betsy, "how can we live like this?"  And Betsy, always looking to Heaven and to the work of Christ in everything, said that they would turn to the word (which was a miracle in itself that they were able to smuggle in a tiny bible).  And they turned to Thessalonians, where we are instructed to give thanks for EVERYTHING.  So, Betsy proceeded to thank the Lord for the fleas, and Corrie just couldn't join in.  She didn't understand how they could be thankful for the fleas.  (can you imagine?!!!!)  Over the weeks, Corrie and Betsy noticed that the guards, who covered every inch of that concentration camp, never actually came into the bunk room.  As a result, they were able to lead a nightly bible study with the smuggled-in bible.  A few weeks went by, and Betsy was questioning another prisoner about why the guards never came near the bunk room, and the prisoner said, "don't you know?  They won't come near the fleas."  God was working for their good by infesting their sleeping quarters with fleas!!!!  The book is filled with one story after another of how God works for good in the midst of horrific circumstances.  Circumstances so nightmarish that they are beyond the realm of my understanding.  But, I walked away from the story with the reality that God is absolutely sovereign and good in our lives.  HE IS.

And so, I thank Him.

51.  My mother's backyard and back porch--home.
52.  Watching Ada have a fun-filled day with her cousins.
53.  A night out with my husband.
54.  A quick, safe trip to Alabama, despite threats of storms
55.  You Tube, and the ability to listen to John Piper right here on this Tuesday morning.  Amazing what technology allows.
56.  Books.  Books, books, books.
57.  Sunday morning, listening to Steve preach.
58.  Ada's continued disobedience and bad reactions--always humbling me and reminding me that I am helpless apart from Christ (I am to thank him for everything, right?).
59.  John sleeping well the past two nights.  No endless crying in the middle of the night.
60.  Yo-toddler yogurt with fruit puree.  One more way to sneak in the fruits and veggies.

Everyday, grace upon grace upon grace upon grace.  HE IS ENOUGH.  ALWAYS.  (One of the many things Steve preached about this past Sunday)

3 comments:

Jane said...

We do have so much to be thankful for daily,so often we take our circumstances for granted. We just don't know how blessed we are!!! Blessings jane

Jane said...

We do have so much to be thankful for daily,so often we take our circumstances for granted. We just don't know how blessed we are!!! Blessings jane

Mary said...

I am blown away by the flea story! I have always wanted to read that book, you have motivated me to!