Sunday, October 19, 2008

Another Friday afternoon, Another menu

It's Sunday night at the Moore house, the clothes are folded (see post below), and I am blogging for the second time tonight because it's time to post the week's menu. To find more menus and recipes or to join in on the fun of menu plan Monday (on Sunday night), check out Organizing Junkie.

Actual Blog Post starts now...

It's 10:36 am on Friday morning, and Ada is already down for a nap. The fussiness started early today, so who knows what the afternoon will be like. I'll just deal with it then. For now, little Ada is fast asleep in her bed and all is right with the world. It's hard being 14 months--it can wear a girl out.

Okay...new budget plan. I am going to take two separate grocery trips. The first one will be only food and necessities. Then, if there is any budget money left, I will take a second trip for stock up items. I think I am spending WAY too much on stock up items. Even at rock bottom prices, if it causes me to go over budget, it's not saving us money. I'll let you know how that goes. The goal for the week--keep it under 75.00. We'll see what happens.

Last week's goal--more veggies. We ate more veggies, we really did. Mainly we ate veggies when we ate cheesy vegetable chowder, which we all loved and had plenty left over. It was a little more work than expected, but it tasted great. Less fast food than the week before. Progress was made.

Here's this week's menu

Friday night--Ada, whatever. Yogurt, PB & J, whatever she will eat. Scott and I will eat Chili's chips and salsa and queso after Ada goes to bed and maybe watch a movie. Or better yet, The Office on dvd, A very cheap, "at home" date, if you will. I don't believe in cooking on Friday nights:)

Saturday--begins with an 8 am tutoring session (yikes!!), then we are working a booth at a Halloween Carnival (it's a church thing), and then we plan to go eat dinner with couple friends from Atlanta. They are coming here. We are eating at Shane's. I have set aside 25.00 to cover Friday and Saturday night. This is not included in the 75.00

Sunday--lunch will be pot roast with potatoes and carrots. Dinner will be whatever.

Monday--Spaghetti, salad, bread

Tuesday--Brown Rice and veggie stir fry

Wednesday--sausage and potato soup (this is from last week's menu), biscuits or cornbread

Thursday--leftovers or pasta with tomatoes

Breakfast--south beach bars, grits, eggs, nutri grain waffles

Lunch--leftovers from dinner, PB & J, lean cuisine pizzas (sale + coupons, according to Grocery Game)

so the grocery list

pot roast

potatoes

carrots

ground beef

salad

dinner bread

south beach bars

7 lean cuisine pizzas (rock bottom prices according to Grocery Game)

sandwich bread

milk

diet coke

chips

nutri grain waffles

snacks???

in our pantry/fridge we already have plenty of pasta, spaghetti sauce, makings for stir fry, juice, canned tomatoes, peanut butter, jelly, makings for sausage and potato soup, eggs, grits

surely to goodness, this will be less than 75.00. I will let you know. I know you are all on the edge of your seats just waiting to hear:)

Okay, the results are in--our total at Kroger came to 65 ish. I don't have the receipt in front of me. I thought it was going to be less than 60, so I decided to examine the receipt when I got home. And there I found a 6.00 bag of cheese instead of the 1.25 bag of cheese I expected. My sweet hubby decided to go grocery shopping with Ada and me on Friday night. He picked up the bag of cheese. He picked up the 25 oz bag of cheese rather than the 8 oz bag of cheese. Needless to say, the cheese was returned to Kroger. And the total came in at 60ish. Yea!! Good thing because we spent more than expected on food this weekend outside of the grocery trip. However, with everything added up I did not go over budget of 100 a week including grocery store, dinners out, diet coke runs etc. The goal is not spend any more money before Friday.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Your menu looks good. I answered your question about freezer meals in the comment section on that blog post. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more. Have a good week.

Anonymous said...

I have the sneaky suspicion that stocking up on sale items is not saving me money either...