Friday, October 3, 2008

Recent Readings and Encouragement

I am currently reading The Shaping of a Christian Family by Elisabeth Elliot, which is, of course, so good and so convicting, as most of my actions look nothing like the actions of her mother:) (The book is the story of her life growing up). One chapter in particular brought tears to my eyes as it reminded me once again of the importance of the role of a mother in a child's life. Here is what she writes (or actually she is quoting an anonymous writer)

There is no nobler career than that of motherhood at its best. There are no possibilities greater, and in no other sphere does failure bring more serious penalties. With what diligence then should she prepare herself for such a task. If the mechanic who is to work with "things" must study at technical school, if the doctor into whose skilled hands will be entrusted human lives, must go through medical school...how much more should the mother who is fashioning the souls of the men and women of tomorrow, learn at the highest of all schools and from the Master-Sculptor Himself, God. To attempt this task, unprepared and untrained is tragic, and its results affect generations to come. On the other hand there is no higher height to which humanity can attain than that occupied by a converted, heaven-inspired, praying mother.

Well, if that doesn't get me opening the word of God and praying daily, then I don't know what will. Thanks Elisabeth Elliot, for making me feel so good about myself today--ha, ha--just joking;) But seriously, it is a sobering thought, and immediately causes me to pray over and over and over, please, Lord, help me. I mean, is there anything else to say. Just help me. Do the mothering for me. Knock me out of the way. Just do this thing for me.

Okay, well second encouraging thing, which was a bit needed after that dose of reality above!!

Just last night, I participated in my fall women's discipleship group for the first time. I am very excited because starting next Thursday, we will be meeting at my house on Thursday nights. It will be a bit crazy because I also tutor outside of my home on Thursday nights, but I am looking forward to hosting something at my house for the first time!! Anyway...we are doing a Tim Keller study, and as most of you know, I LOVE Tim Keller and what he has to say. He has a way of making me see the gospel in a whole new light. Well, today I did my first lesson where Paul is chastising (right word?) Peter for "not living in the truth of the gospel." You know in Galatians when Peter stops eating with the Gentiles for fear of what the "circumcised party" will think. I think we're all guilty of this in some form or another. I certainly am. Not realizing that we are adding our own rules to the gospel. Well, Keller includes a quote from Martin Luther that explains how our righteousness is a result of NOTHING that we did. He calls it passive righteousness. And this is what he says, and let me tell you, it makes me want to shout hallelujah because I find such freedom and rest in these words,

So now we may certainly think, "Although I still sin, I don't despair, because Christ lives, who is both my righteousness and my eternal life." In that righteousness I have no sin, no fear, no guilty conscience, no fear of death. I am indeed a sinner in this life of mine (Amen to that!!) and in my own righteousness, but I have another life, another righteousness above this life, which is in Christ, the Son of God.

There you go. Permission to do a little dance over that one!! It is no secret that try as I may, I am going to FAIL and SIN in my own righteousness, but GUESS WHAT!!! I have another righteousness, another life, in the life and death and resurrection of Christ. Praise God a million times!

No comments: