Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Reflecting on 2008

This list of questions is courtesy of Simple Mom, a blog I faithfully read.

I like these questions because they force me to look back at the year and really consider what I would like to do differently in 2009, instead of just pulling a few resolutions out of the air. I already have a few "new year's resolutions" in mind, but I think it will be beneficial to look back at the year before announcing those resolutions to the world. So, here we go...

1. What is the single best thing that has happened in 2008?


oh man, so many good things happened, there is no way I can name just one.

In February we moved into our first house, and soon after we found our church, which we love. In April, we celebrated two years of marriage, and in August we celebrated one year of Ada's life, and one year of motherhood. We started our total money makeover, and I have learned so much about budgeting and distinguishing between need and want. I learned how to coupon and play the CVS game. And just when the budget got too tight to bear, I started tutoring in the evenings after Scott arrived home from work. How can I name one thing? Our cup runneth over.

2. What was the most challenging thing?

In many ways, the challenging parts of the year have been a result of the good things. It has been challenging to manage our budget and still feed and clothe the family in a way that suits our tastes. It has been challenging to be a stay at home mom day in and day out. It has been challenging to tutor every night when I want to relax with Scott. All of these things have been very good things, but they have certainly been a challenge. But what is life without challenges?

Simple mom provides 20 questions to reflect on, but I, of course, will not answer all of those questions in this post. I do plan to think through all 20, though. I will post answers to a few more.

3. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?

I have grown to really enjoy budgeting, couponing, and meal planning. I feel like I am good at it, and therefore I enjoy it. It has been a process, and I certainly have not arrived, but it has become a fun "hobby" of sorts.

4. What has been the least enjoyable aspect of home management?

Cleanliness and organization--by far the most challenging aspect!! I am NOT. A. GOOD. HOUSEKEEPER. I can't do it ya'll. It's the perfectionist in me. I am an all or nothing kind of girl, so if the kitchen is a mess, and I know that there is no way for me to clean the entire kitchen in the 15 minutes or so of free time that I have, I don't even bother to do one small thing, such as unload the dishwasher. I have to find more balance in my housekeeping methods, or we might all go insane, or at least drown underneath the piles of clean laundry and dirty dishes.

5. What was your single biggest time waster this year?


Yikes. I have to say the computer. Oh man. I have done so good with my television watching because we said good-bye to cable, but this computer is sucking up my time in vast quantities. Ouch. Didn't want to have to think about that. This question might work its way into my new year's resolutions. We'll see.

6. What was the biggest thing you learned this year?


Well, that is going to take some more reflecting. But for now, I will say this, His grace is sufficient. He shows up every single day, and he cares about the ins and outs of motherhood on a budget. And that's all I need to know.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I hear you with computers wasting time. oh I did the coupon mom thing 2 days ago for the first time (been saving the booklets). I have to say I did only save $3 total with the coupons. A little disappointing considering the time I put into finding those coupons. But first time for everything. I'm still learning.