Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I met a neighbor, and other ways this day surprised me

so the day started out not so good. Scott woke me up on his way out the door to let me know that because he couldn't find his keys, he was taking my car, leaving Ada and me carless. This is not so good for this mom and daughter who like to get out at least twice a day just to break up the monotony. The day began with a fussy Ada, and a very short morning nap, and I thought we would not survive. At one point I put in Ada in her bed simply because I think we were both tired of each other. She was fussing for no apparent reason, and everything I tried failed, so I put her in her bed and she seemed happy enough. Maybe she is a little introvert and needed some alone time to reenergize. Thankfully, the Lord provided an absolutely beautiful and warm day, so we were able to spend some time in the backyard getting a little fresh air and sunshine--two things that are always good for the soul. During our afternoon outdoor time, a neighbor from two houses down was also outside letting her dog get some fresh air. Naturally we said hello and introduced ourselves, and it turns out, she is this cute little pregnant girl--yea for a mom-to-be. She is almost as short as me, so we were even able to compare stories on how it seems to be harder to carry a baby when there is so little room in the torso. (On a later date, I will fill you in on the joys of having complete strangers stop to ask you if you are having multiples). She immediately picked Ada up because when you are pregnant you want to cuddle with every baby that you see. I don't know if she plans to stay at home after the baby is born, but I'll take a mom to hang out with in the evenings and on the weekends if need be. I may not have best friends here, and I may not feel like McDonough is home, but on this afternoon I feel the foreshadowing of community, and for now, that is enough.

p.s. Scott took Ada and me to Taco Bell for dinner to get us out of the house, so in addition to meeting a neighbor, I also got to have a large diet pepsi from Taco Bell, plus a refill on the way out. It turned out to be a not so bad day.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay for Taco Bell Diet Pepsi! So glad you met your neighbor. Slowly but surely!

Amanda said...

By the way here is a blog that I found and I always think of you when I look at it. This girl finds "designer looks" for less. http://frugal-fashionista.blogspot.com/

Milla said...

Oh that makes me so happy. I love those little unexpected blessings! I love hearing your stories of adjusting to a new place because I can so relate!

And, I haven't been to taco bell in SO long! You make me want to go there right now!

p.s. I'd also like to hear more about where you and Ada usually go during the day to break up the monotony...

LB said...

Taco Bell tasted great girls, but I have to admit, I didn't feel so good about myself after I ate it:) JK...you should listen to those craving!!

And Milla, one thing Ada and I do to break up the day is drive somewhere to get a fountain diet coke. Which is what we are about to do--we are hitting up Sonic happy hour!

Rachel said...

I am so excited for you! It is a wonderful feeling to know you have a neighbor to talk to.. oh and I am only 5'3, so I am feeling the pain in my back because my belly has no where to go but out... we def. have the short end of the stick.. haha! Also, I have found that I LOVE taco bell's bean burritos right now... Yum!