Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday's Happenings

Well, I am marking it down in my virtual baby book, April 17, 2008 is the day I will say Ada started crawling. She has been trying for so long, but today she was able to stay on all fours and move forward at least three crawls (?) at a time before falling onto her stomach. Plus she has gotten quite creative in getting around and getting to what she wants. She is a fearless little thing. She is not afraid of falling down, she just lets go of my hands when I am "walking" with her, and of course immediately falls. It's as if she is not aware that I am what is enabling her to walk. So funny.

We went for a run today in my oh so feeble attempt to keep up some sort of running routine. We first went to Target to buy some baby sunscreen. We ended up with some spf 55 for that white, white red-headed baby skin. She is looking at a childhood filled with lots of sunscreen lathering. As a child I suffered through it myself. The run was not so good. It is just not easy to run with a jogging stroller. Or to run at all, for that matter.

As for other day's events...I am making my way through Tim Keller's, The Reason for God." My mom ordered both Keller's book and D.A. Carson's Christ and Culture Revisited, but she had them sent to my house so that I could read them first. I am just devouring Keller's book, as I knew I would. I actually went into it thinking it would not so much apply to me since he is all about the city, and I am certainly not in the city. In my daily life I am not dealing with graduate students searching for truth and the meaning of life as much as I am dealing with diapers, bottles, and the occasional conversation with other McDonough moms. Honestly, what I am wrestling with the most is how to approach the gospel in southern suburbia. This is the culture I am living in and I truly have no idea how to approach the gospel here, in a place where everyone is a Christian by default. That is a complicated conversation that I certainly haven't figured out yet. Postmodernism (post-postmodernism?) hasn't hit McDonough too hard, I have to say, at least not in the way it has engulfed the city. However, I am learning so much from his book, of course. Keller has really shaped my understanding of Christianity ever since I first listened to him during graduate school when my faith was really being challenged by a class I took on Post colonial Literature. He continues to shape me. Reading the book is bringing much clarity to what I believe, but it is a lot to take in with just one reading. I feel as if it is a book I will have to read over and over again. And I am only halfway through. I will report back when I reach the end.

Meanwhile, as I type this Ada is screaming at the top of her lungs because she does not want to go to bed. However, when I picked her up out of bed a minute ago she immediately rubbed her eyes and cuddled up to my shoulder, so I know that she is SO TIRED. It's like we are in this war, and she feels like she hasn't fought hard enough if she just gives in to bed time. She can be a fighter, that little girl of mine. (She also fights getting her diaper changed every single time. You would think she would be thankful that I don't allow her to wallow in her own filth). So, it's just a normal night in the Moore household.

6 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

LB, great post! I love hearing how the Lord is working in your life through these authors. Please give us a book review when you're done. I am in a place where I feel in a giant lull - not excited about much, not content with much, and I really need to hear posts like these! Anything to encourage!

Also, I loved the pics of Ada the other day - her pants were so cute!

Milla said...

Hey LB! Glad for the update! I am also about halfway through the book, and I have been blown away! I agree... this one will be one to read again and again and again. I have aleady read a few chapters multiple times! Keep me updated on what you think as you keep reading...

p.s. who taught that post-colonial lit class you mentioned? I think I can probably guess.

Amanda said...

LB..I too was subject to the fair hair white skin childhood. Up until I was probably 12 I could only wear Estee Lauder face sun screen b/c my skin was so sensitive.

I agree with previous comments. Give us a full report after you finish Keller's book. He is great. i hope to get to leisurely read at some point. House stuff has kept us so busy but I do have a couple of beach trips planned for this summer so that could be the perfect time to catch up!

Katie B said...

praying for cool gospel opportunities for you.... i just went to randy pope's conference called xpress your faith and it was great... we talked a lot about cultural vs born again chrisitians and people that believe vs people that are truly convicted by the word... it was so good. i know He will use you in cool ways w/ your fam and whoever you come in contact with!... or whomever. don't hate my english ;)

LB said...

milla--can't think of her name. She was from Australia. She was one of two professors with the same name, and she was the younger of the two. I liked her, but oh did she hate christianity. I had her class on Thursday nights, and it wore me out. There was a girl in the class, you would know her, I know you would, who had a major chip on her shoulder. Throw that in with discussion on postcolonialism, and well, you can imagine. This same girl caused quite a stir in some other classes, I think. If I recall she was quite infamous within the English department.

The Hams said...

LB,
It's nice to meet you and I don't mind that you "blogstalked" :) As a member of the "sisterhood" of those who pull their curly hair straight, I will always share wonderful product information!! It is by Revlon and it is called the Ionic Pro Stylist with Ceramic Technology - such a big, fancy name=) It was only about $17 and it's truly been great! (I hate to throw away lots of money on hair equipment since I fry them so quickly.)
Thank you for your sweet words about Luke. Ada is too cute and her hair is beautiful - I love it!!
Let me know what you think of the dryer!
Take care,
Iana

P.S. - You mentioned something about McDonough, do you in that area? I only ask because we are in Newnan.