Saturday, April 19, 2008

There is a lot working against me today.

Scott is gone for the day. He is off to Turner Field for a little baseball and guy time and after that at 9pm tonight, he is headed over to hang out with some guys from church. What does this mean for me? A long day of nothing much other than watching Ada crawl, fall, crawl, fall, her knees so red from the effort. Bless her heart. And her knees.

Baby Beethoven is playing in the background because I haven't found the energy to turn it off since I lay Ada down for her nap. It is our soundtrack these days--Baby Einstein and Praise Baby. The melody of our lives. I crash onto the sofa as soon as I put her down. Ready for a little me time while a voice in the back of my head says load the dishwasher, take a shower, take out the trash, hurry, she will wake up soon. And I continue to sit here.

However, despite the drudgery of the day, Ada curled up against me before I lay her down, and that is enough to make it all worthwhile. Just a little snuggle and this mama remembers all the reasons why she chose this job (or did it choose me?). I am so thankful for that little stinker in all her messiness, fussiness, and wearing me out-ness. Give me grace for this day, Lord. Grace for this day. Grace to understand the hugeness of this role that seems so daily. Give me a glimpse of how all these tiny moments add up to raising a person whose purpose is to bring you glory.

What does that grace look like today? A smile. The drooly sound of mama from that little mouth. A one step closer to pulling up. A snuggle before naptime and a squeal when she sees me after she wakes up. And the promise of not one, but two, weekends away with the husband. Just enough grace for this day. That's all I need.

4 comments:

jane said...

it certainly is a DAILY need...
on a lighter note--crawling related: e has spent a lot of time crawling on our deck lately... his poor knees are all scraped and even the tops of his feet. he has started doing a hilarious 'bear crawl' on his hands and FEET. poor guy- we got to work on this walking thing!

amy said...

precious!

Amanda said...

I love your transparency! I know it must be hard some days but so rewarding too. It is so great to hear the "reality" of having a little blessing.
So I read your email. We will be at Sheffers wedding too. Lets hang out!!! I hope June 6th beach weekend works out so that we can go!

Lindsay said...

LB,
Thank you for being so open about your spiritual life, it's like reading Max Lucado, but I actually know the person who's writing it.