Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Baby Update

I finally made it to the doctor today. I went a new way, recommended by Kelly (the same friend who told me about the kitchen!!), and I had no problems getting there on time.

My doctor's office is right across the street from the hospital, so I felt some comfort seeing how easy it was to get there going the new way that avoids down town. I have felt some anxiety at the thought of getting all the way across town when in labor, especially if things decided to pick up during rush hour. My anxiety was calmed today.

Everything went great. I heard the heartbeat for the first time, which was a relief. Until I can feel the baby move, I like some reassurance that everything is going okay in there. And then today I heard that steady sound, and the midwife said that the size of my uterus tells her that everything is developing just as it should, and I felt calm about the health of the baby.

The most exciting news? We scheduled the ultrasound for September 29th, and then we will know if Ada gets a brother or a sister. Last night I vividly dreamed that it was a girl, but who knows, right?

I told Ada that I was going to the doctor to check on the baby, so the rest of the day she repeatedly asked me about it. I heard concern in her voice. She would say, "baby? doctor? did it hurt?" And she asked me if I would get a band-aid. I told her that unfortunately, this situation would not be solved with a band-aid. She likes to hug and kiss my stomach, and she says good night to the baby, but I have a hard time believing that she understands what is going on. I wonder if she finds it confusing that we keeping referring to a baby in my stomach. I wonder if she thinks we are all crazy;) She will see soon enough, won't she?

So, there's a baby update. Things are moving right along. I can't wait to feel that first movement. That is hands down my favorite part of pregnancy. I love, love, love that feeling.

p.s. Scott is currently putting the kitchen together, so I should have pictures of it tomorrow. I can't wait for Ada to see it. It feels like Christmas Eve:)

No comments: