Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Name Game

We are still reveling in the fact that we are having a little boy.

This morning when Ada woke up, I told her again that she was going to have a little brother, and she responded, "sister." And I said, "No, you're getting a brother," and again she said, "sister," as if to correct me. She said it very matter of factly, like she was trying to be patient with me while she explained the facts. Honestly, I don't know if she knows what a sister or brother is, but it was quite the amusing conversation. I finally gave up, and I settled on teaching her to say John instead of Deuce (thank you, Scott).
I also have been thinking much about names and remembering the reasons why we chose the names that we chose. John Thomas was decided on before Ada was even born, back when we were so certain she was a boy.
John means, "God is gracious," which I love because obviously, my number one prayer for both Ada and John is that they would experience God's mercy and grace in their life at a very early age. It is, after all, what really matters. It is of eternal importance. (Thomas means, "twin," and I don't really have anything to say about that).

Ada means "noble," and Elizabeth means, "God is my oath." I looked up the word noble, and it is defined as, "having or showing qualities of high moral character." And of course my prayer is that both Ada and John would live lives of high moral character, but I mostly want them to understand that without the grace of God in their life, without his righteousness becoming their own, morals will be meaningless and empty. I want the grace and the morals to work together in tandem, you see? And by morals, I mean, I want the fruits of the spirit to be manifested in their lives. I want their lives to be a reflection of Christ and His life.

I did not choose their names because of the meaning, however.

Back when we began considering a name for Ada, I knew that I wanted to use a family name. I wanted to one day be able to explain who they are named for.

Ada is named after my grandmother's grandmother--Ada Chapman. Those who knew her called her Granny. And Elizabeth is my middle name, my mother's name, and my paternal Grandmother's name. It was an obvious choice. I don't know much about Ada Chapman, but I knew her daughter, Ella--my mother's grandmother. And, of course, I knew Ella's four girls--my grandmother and her sisters, so I have heard stories and seen pictures and read old letters. And now Ada carries on her name.

John is first and foremost named after Scott's dad, Johnny Thomas. He is one of the kindest people I have ever met, and he has been such a great dad to Scott and grandfather to Ada. Ada adores her "Pop." He is also still married to Scott's mom, and I respect that so much. I want my children to have a heritage of men who do what they need to do to stick with their wife and families. I am very thankful that my children will see that in both of their Grandfathers. Scott's first name is Jonathan, so John is also named after Scott. In addition to all of that, there are several Johns on my mom's side of the family who were very strong, Godly men. So, when I hear John, I think of a man of strength, so it seemed the obvious choice for my son.

And by the way, we were trying to keep it even. A name from my side; a name from Scott's side.
So, there is our explanation. The reason behind our name choices. And, yes, we had a girl name picked out, also a family name, through and through, but I will save that for later in life, in case we need to put it to use;)

I will close with a picture of the proud big sister. She has much to teach, John. Oh the mischief they will get into!!

4 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

I am so excited for you guys and glad to know the story behind the name! I knew Johnny T, too - agreed - so very kind! What a wonderful heritage to have! Love his name and we will love him as well!!!

Rachel said...

Love it! Are you going to call him by the double name, John Thomas, or just John- either way, it is a wonderful name. Congratulations! Boys are so much fun!

Deanna said...

Congrats on the boy, Laura Beth! That is a strong, classic name for sure. We also named one baby for each family...only we got both at the same time! : ) I am glad I got to see Ada in person on Saturday. I am sure she will be a great big sister!

LB said...

thanks for the congrats, guys.

Rachel, we are just going to call him John. I voted for John Thomas, but Scott vetoed it.

Deanna, I agree. It was fun to meet the babies in person!