Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A couple of quick Ada stories

There have been a few Adaisms lately that I want to share and record for my own sake.

First, remember the book that Ann gave to Ada for her birthday? Well, we now read it every night before bed, and to keep Ada interested, I have added lots of "drama" to the reading. In one story, Zaccheus maybe, the people yell, "Jesus is coming!!" So, the first time I read it, I put my hands around my mouth and yelled it with much emphasis. Well, Ada loved it. She now calls the book, "Jesus is coming," and she loves yelling that part of the story every night. She won't let us read other stories, in fact. And tonight, Scott had to leave to go to bible study, and to explain that to Ada, I said, "daddy is going to church to learn about Jesus." Ada looked at me and nodded knowingly as she said, "Jesus is coming."

Second, as Ada gets older, I have realized how much she is able to remember. I absolutely believe that children's brains are like little sponges, and they can take in so much more information than we realize. I want to take advantage of that. So...we have started teaching Ada the shorter catechism for children, and she is learning it surprisingly easily. (we have shortened all the answers to two words, which is working so far. For example, "what else did God make?" "all things," or, "why did God make you and all things?" "his glory.") I don't think she has one clue what she is saying, but I am still all for pouring truth into her brain. One day that truth will equal understanding. We have made it through the first four questions, and we are about to start working on the fifth. Maybe soon we can video it somehow.

Third, Auburn. Truth from the bible, truth about what we believe, and truth about Auburn. I have my priorities in order, right;) I taught Ada to say war eagle, hey, with the hand motions, and she really likes doing it, particularly the hey part. (anything that allows her to shout loudly). Well, I thought it would be cute to teach her to answer, "war eagle, hey!" when I ask, "what does a tiger say?" Yesterday we were looking at a book together, and we came across a picture of a lion. I asked her what a lion says, thinking she would roar, and she replied, "war eagle, hey" complete with her fist in the air and everything. We'll keep working on that;)

And finally, tonight Ada must have had the new baby on the brain because as I was bathing her she once again began to ask me about going to the doctor to check on the baby. I was rather surprised because she hasn't mentioned that since last Wednesday when I went to the doctor. Anyway, her inquiry sparked a conversation about the baby, and I told her that the next time I went to the doctor we would find out if she was having a brother or a sister. She kept playing with her bath toys as she said very matter-of-factly, "a sister." So, I guess that's settled, a girl it will be.

Oh Ada, I think two is so much fun. I love all of our conversations through out the day, and it has been incredibly fulfilling for me to begin to actually teach you things. I know that the daily ins and outs of infanthood is equally important, but I am beginning to experience some of the fruit of motherhood, and I am loving it.

5 comments:

rhodes1 said...

Two very good posts! The stories are my favorite. You should bring Ada down to Auburn to hang out some Saturday before I'm gone.

Ashley Turnbull said...

Love that you guys are going through the catechism! We plan to do the very same thing! Our kids' SS at church does a children's version...have you seen that one? If not, I can get you the info. Y'all are doing such a great job as parents!!!

Milla C. Photography said...

This is just precious! I love love love these stories... these years are so precious. Thanks for sharing!!

Scott said...

Hey, maybe you can do a blog poll to settle our debate and see how other people pronounce Zaccheus? zach-ee-us or zachious?

Nicole said...

I love reading your blog!!
Hope you don't mind that I added yours to my blog list.