Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Midwife Explanation

I realize that this is my second post tonight, but I realized that this was the second post where I mention a midwife without explaining.

The practice that I go has several doctors and several midwives, who are nurse practitioners. Both the doctors and the midwives deliver babies, but the patient chooses which they want to deliver (obviously). I love the midwives at my practice. They are empathetic, kind, reassuring, and make time to answer all of my questions. The doctors are doctors--in and out, cut and dry, etc. etc. So everything in me leans toward having the midwife deliver.

There is one problem. Ann had a terrible midwife experience when she delivered Ellie. Terrible. Granted she was in New Mexico, across the country, at a completely different practice. But I can't shake her experience, so I choose the doctors. I have heard story after story of wonderful midwife experiences. And, to be completely honest, if Ann had had a wonderful midwife experience with Ellie, and I heard story after story of terrible midwife experiences, I would probably choose a midwife. I am heavily influenced by my family. So...I choose the doctors. But until the very end, I choose to see the midwives because I actually prefer them.

Let me give you an example, today, as I came out of the "examination room" to get my check out (?) papers from the midwife, she turned to me and said, "I love that shirt. It's so cute," and then she proceeded to give me a little back pat/rub and tell me that she will see me next time. And, when she first walked into the examination room and asked me how I was feeling, I told her that I was feeling loads better, and she replied, "Thank God," as if it was all she had been able to think about since the last visit. The doctors don't say or do things like that. They are strictly business. But, on birth day, I prefer strictly business.

I had an incredible birth experience with Ada. I appreciated all the decisions that my doctor made, and it resulted in a very easy, uncomplicated delivery, so I am sticking with the doctors. On birth day.

2 comments:

Suehaad said...

Who was your midwife today...Dixie?

LB said...

you guessed it!! How did you know? She is who I am seeing next time too. Remind me of the ones you love--or I will ask you today.