Saturday, March 7, 2009

Favorites around our house

There is so much that I want to blog about that I feel overwhelmed, which is the story of my life.

Because I have about 30 minutes before I have to tutor (yes, on a Saturday night), I am just going to do a quick blog about what we are loving these days, and by we, I mean Ada.

That little chicken nugget (as we like to call her) pretty much rules the roost around her, so if she loves it, we all better love it, or at least make plans to get on board really quickly.

As I have mentioned before, Ada loves anything having to do with music. Her first favorite song was The Itsy Bitsy Spider, and even before she could talk she had certain motions that she would do when she wanted me to sing it. Since then we have added various other songs to her list of favorites including the ABCs, Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi (thank you, Scott), the Thomas the Train theme song, the Veggie Tale theme song, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, and the list could go on and on.

She also loves to read. Loves it. I often catch her all by herself making up words to go along with the pictures in the book. A while ago, Scott's mom gave us some of Scott's old books, and those have become Ada's favorite ones of all. They are very short and simple books, and she has even memorized a few of the words in each one. (Scott and I have memorized all of the words--yikes! She never tires of reading the same books over and over and over).

Over time as I observed her ability to remember songs and stories even at her young age, I was convicted that she could already be "hiding God's word in her heart." As great as the words to itsy, bitsy spider are, I feel like scripture might benefit her just a tad more;). Another mom that I go to church with and who I am in bible study with came to my rescue. She made me a copy of the C.D. "Seeds of Courage." Do you know about it? If not, you need to know about it. It is a CD that takes straight scripture and puts it to music. It's great. I have only had the CD for a little over a week, and I have already memorized four new Bible Verses. Something about hearing the verses as songs, makes them so easy to memorize, and I am hoping they will have the same affect on Ada.

This brings me to the other thing that I am loving (and Ada will love it too when she gets her Easter basket). Swagbucks. Do you know about this? Through Swagbucks you can earn gift cards and other prizes just for doing things you normally do on the internet. For example, I set Swagbucks as my homepage, and I use it to do internet searches in much the same way that I would normally use google. I have only been using Swagbucks for about a month and I am one point away from earning a ten dollar gift card to Amazon. I am using that card to buy Ada a few books for her Easter basket, or perhaps the Seeds of Faith CD. I have big plans to own all the cds in that series.

So that is just a few of the things we are loving lately. What are some of your favorite things these days?

2 comments:

jane said...

a friend made me a mix cd of songs from the seeds of... group. it was my strength before i went into labor w/ elisha-- it is all i listened too. not my favorite musically, but there is such power in the words of scripture and it really puts it into memory! "do not fear for i am with you, do not be dismayed for i am your God. i will strengthen you and help you, i will uphold you with my righteous right hand"

zoe said...

thanks for the swagbucks info. i went to the site and registered for it from your link, but don't really understand it. i couldn't find much of an explanation on the site....do i have to go back to the swag site each time i look up a new page or does it trace me as i go? could you explain it a bit more? thanks!