Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fun, low-cal, meal on the go

Okay, I am back, and I am done with Tae-bo. Woo-hoo!!! One day down. And the most shocking thing of all, Ada is still asleep. I can't believe it. So...I am quickly going to give you a diet meal idea.

Warning--I have millions of diet facts floating around inside my brain. I have been storing them up there for many years now. Because I haven't officially dieted since my wedding, I have never shared these tips on here. They might show up a lot over the next six weeks. If you thought I was obsessed with coupons, you "ain't seen nothing yet." I will try to contain myself.

Anyway...I have tried every diet under the sun, really, I have. And my favorite, most successful one is Weight Watchers. It is healthy, safe, and sort of fun. The same thing in me that likes the game of couponing, likes the game of dieting. With weight watchers, you get a certain amount of points for the day, and I love seeing how far I can stretch those points. Much like I stretch our grocery money each week. Well, weight watchers costs money, and though I have memorized a lot of point values, I haven't memorized them all, so I am going to do a modified version of weight watchers and count calories. I am using the site, The Daily Plate, to do this. It's a great way to record what you have eaten each day. You can enter your height and weight, choose a certain amount of weight to lose each week, and it will tell you how many calories you can have each day. Then if you work out for a certain amount of time, you enter that into your "plate," and you earn calories for the day. You see?

So...today is day one of counting the calories, and we had nothing to eat for lunch since we just got back into town yesterday, so I headed to Taco Bell for my favorite, low calorie meal. Tutti, who is a walking encyclopedia of healthy eating facts (I talk diet, she talks health), introduced me to the concept of Taco Bell as healthy. Here is what I ordered today--2 chicken soft tacos, fresco style, and an order of pinto beans--no cheese and no red sauce. The tacos have 170 calories each, and the beans have 100 calories. Not bad, right? And it is a very fresh tasting meal. Some people might be able to get away with eating only one taco for even fewer calories. I require a suprisingly large amount of food in order to prevent starvation;), so I ordered two tacos, but I am still coming in way under my day's allowance, thanks to tae bo!!!

Please, please, please, pass on any meal or dieting ideas. Really, that bathing suit is staring me in the face, and it's not pretty.

3 comments:

Suehaad said...

i love reading about your passions-it motivates me!

Suehaad said...

it's so true, at least here in the south, that one day it's 70 degrees and jeans are comfy, and the next day it's mid-80's and it's all short dresses/skirts, shorts, and bathing suits! i never thought about it that way because where i'm from, it truly is a grudual progression to summer weather...no wonder i never feel ready for summer:)

Becca said...

Hey LB! I am playing the 'dieting game' too, trying to get back down to 125 (8lbs to go....). Your question is a timely one now that it's time to bring back the spring skirts and sundresses.

Burton and I love Trader Joe's for low-calorie, inexpensive, natural food. Here are some things to look for:

Frozen mango pieces
Frozen fruit bars (called 'Fruit Floes'
Frozen chicken fajitas dinner
Frozen kung pao chicken dinner (skip the peanuts)
Frozen Turkey Meatballs
Frozen pre-cooked brown rice
Fresh CHEAP arugula and baby spinach
Goat cheese rolled in herbs/spices
Inexpensive very lean ground beef
Every kind of fresh produce and healthy snack, cheaper than other stores

Their frozen foods are GREAT; we eat Trader Joe's frozen meals about twice a week. They also have a lot of yummy, less calorie conscious options. ;)

On the non-Trader Joe's side...

For breakfast I like to make a little burrito from egg substitute, a fajita or soft taco-sized tortilla, a tiny bit of shredded cheddar, and tomato salsa. 175 calories, and it's more satisfying and more nutritious than cereal. :)

For a snack I like water crackers and a wedge of Laughing Cow reduced fat Swiss cheese.

And lots and lots of Luna sunrise bars.

Thanks for sharing your motivation to be thinner and healthier! We'll have to check in with each other periodically. Good luck! :)