Sunday, July 12, 2009

Comforting Words

Last night I couldn't sleep. I do this often. Last night was especially strange, however, because I had taken half a phenigran. I should have slept soundly.

My heart was very burdened for other people and difficult situations. I felt strongly that the Lord wanted me awake. He wanted me to pray. So pray I did. From 1:30 am to 5:30 am. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to go to sleep. At times I prayed for sleep. But when sleep didn't come, I continued to pray for those things that were burdening me. Finally, around 6 am, when Scott woke up with Ada, I slept very soundly for two hours until it was time to get ready for church. And surprisingly, the Lord has given me much energy today. After all of that praying I did, I loved reading the following words. I just want to soak them in, and cling to them.

“Imagine that your prayer is a poorly dressed beggar reeking of alcohol and body odor, stumbling toward the palace of the great king. You have become your prayer. As you shuffle toward the barred gate, the guards stiffen. Your smell has preceded you. You stammer out a message for the great king: ‘I want to see the king.’

Your words are barely intelligible, but you whisper one final word, ‘Jesus, I come in the name of Jesus.’ At the name of Jesus, as if by magic, the palace comes alive. The guards snap to attention, bowing low in front of you. Lights come on, and the door flies open. You are ushered into the palace and down a long hallway into the throne room of the great king, who comes running to you and wraps you in his arms.

The name of Jesus gives my prayers royal access. They get through. Jesus isn’t just the Savior of my soul. He’s also the Savior of my prayers. My prayers come before the throne of God as the prayers of Jesus. ‘Asking in Jesus’ name’ isn’t another thing I have to get right so my prayers are perfect. Is it one more gift of God because my prayers are so imperfect.”

—Paul Miller, A Praying Life (Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress 2009), 135

From, Of First Importance.

2 comments:

Suehaad said...

wow, that is such a beautiful word picture. thanks for sharing it and thanks for being faithful to pray when the lord wakes you:)

Ashley Turnbull said...

What great words! I am so glad to have read that (at 5 a.m. when I was up feeding Kate!). God certainly had great purpose in having you pray this morning. Know that for sure!