Sunday, July 26, 2009

Weekly grocery post

The couponing continued this week. Publix was a huge success. Kroger was a huge flop. But you live, you learn, right?

Here's how Publix went.

2 bags of Wise potato chips
4 packs of Hefty plates (I feel guilty a/b this purchase b/c I am thinking the styrofoam plates are terrible for the environment, but washing dishes is terrible for my pregnancy exhaustion, so I decided to stock up)
1 bag of hostess powdered donuts (again, I blame this impulse buy on the pregnancy)
4 bottles of Lawry's marinade
4 cans of Bush's baked beans
4 boxes of Starkist Seasations fish (I have never had these, but they were free after coupons, so we are giving them a try)
6 kiwi
1 loaf of Arnold whole grain bread
2 bottles of Mott's apple juice

I paid 25.74 OOP
I saved 59.71

So then we headed to Kroger, and things went very down hill.

Kroger

2 4 packs of Dannon Activia
2 bags of Kraft cheese (part of buy 10, save 5)
1/4 lb of Boars Head White American cheese
1/2 lb of Boars Head honey maple chicken
3 bottles of Juicy Juice apple juice (buy 10, save 5)
1 lb of ground beef
2 bags of Kroger brand frozen chopped onions (I cannot cut up onions. My eyes burn for hours afterwards, so I just buy frozen)
2 cartons of Daisy sour cream (buy 10, save 5)
2 bags of Pepperidge Farm cookies (buy 10, save 5)
1 box of Velveeta shells and cheese
1 box of Kroger brand peanut butter and crackers
1 carton of strawberries
Oatmeal breakfast bars
Jimmy Dean frozen sausage and biscuits (buy 10, save 5)

I paid 41.88 OOP
I saved 15.43

So, 142.76 worth of groceries for 67.62.

Much of what I planned to buy was out of stock, but I needed to buy 10 of the sale items to get the 5.00 off, so I ended buying lots on impulse, which caused my total to sky rocket. Plus Ada was tired at this point, so she was whiny, and I couldn't think. It was some what of a disaster. Luckily I still stayed around my total goal price, but I wanted to spend less than that at Kroger.

Here is what we are eating

Sunday lunch= slow cooked pinto beans, corn casserole
Sunday dinner= BLT's with fresh tomatoes (yum!!)
Monday= spaghetti, bread, salad
Tuesday= chicken and rice in the crock pot, squash

And Wednesday, Ada and I head to Alabama so I can finally finish with the dental work. This also means that I officially begin second trimester on Wednesday--woo-hoo.

We will conclude the weekend with the big 2nd birthday--Elmo birthday cake, balloons, and all. Actually, the celebration will be quite small. I think Ann and I are going to take all the cousins to McDonalds (Ellie, Luke, Andrew, and Ada), and then we are going to eat cake and ice cream at Ann's house afterwards. And since they are all so young, I will be bringing a gift for Ellie and Luke so that everyone can share in the party. I actually never gave either one of them a gift on their actual birthdays, so that's what the gifts are for. And I thought it would be more fun for everyone. One big cousin celebration. Of course I will post pictures.

Ironically, I also spent my second birthday at McDonalds, followed by a Cookie Monster birthday cake (can you confirm that, mom?), so the tradition continues with the new generation. McDonalds and Sesame Street, does it really get any better for a toddler?

Oh, one last thing.

After the grocery trip on Saturday, Scott and I cleaned out and took inventory of the pantry. In doing that, I discovered that I have 13 boxes of pasta and 9 boxes of cake mix. So...does anyone have any good pasta recipes or cake mix recipes? I don't really love to just make a cake, so I am hoping for recipes that use the cake mix. Seriously, please send recipes my way.

9 comments:

Emilie H said...

This is a great old Weight Watcher recipie that I use all the time and made today thanks to the Kroger Sales this Week.

1 lb ground meat - browned (I use ground turkey)
8 oz pasta (I use whole wheat but sure it would be good with anyting)

Mix 1 can of sloppy joe sauce with 1 normal sized carton of cottage cheese. Blend in browned meat and pasta.

Place in a casserole dish and sprinkler with cheese (I use percent, but the recipe calls for fat free)

Cook at 50 for 30 - 45 min or until bubbly.

The hubs loves it!

Jenny said...

I have a great one for Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars that uses a box of yellow cake mix! I'll have to go find it, then I'll post it on my blog (because it really is yummy!)

Katie B said...

CAKE MIX COOKIES!!! (any strawberry cake mix?) and dump cake- VERY easy where you put the pie filling- peach, apple, cherry, whatever and but the cake mix on top with some cut up butter over it and bake it... sooo good! and actually lo fat (but high sugar ;)
have fun!

Elizabeth said...

LB - Kate is the source for Cake Mix Recipes. Also - yes your 2 year old birthday was at McDonalds. I'll try to put my hands on those pix. MOM

Lindsay said...

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cakes

Butter, for greasing pan, plus 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) butter, melted
1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 egg, plus 2 eggs
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 to 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 egg, and 8 tablespoons (1 stick) melted butter, and stir until well blended. Pat mixture into prepared pan and set aside. In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs, and the cocoa powder. Lower the speed of the mixer, and add the powdered sugar. Continue beating until ingredients are well mixed. Slowly add the remaining 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of melted butter, and the vanilla, continuing to beat the mixture until smooth. Spread filling over cake mixture in pan.Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking. Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.

You can also do the same thing for just regular ooey gooey bars if you use a yellow cake mix, or you can do strawberry with a strawberry cake mix.

rhodes1 said...

Dump cake is the best! You should bring a box to Scottsboro. Thanks for the camera help. It helps a lot.

I just came back from CVS feeling so good about my purchases, and then I see how much you saved at Publix, and I mine doesn't seem as great :) but I just spent $30 saved nearly $30. I think that's the best I've ever done.

Ann said...

I am overstocked this summer with summer tomatoes and cucumbers. So I very often cut those up and mix them with pasta and whatever vinaigrette dressing I have on hand for a quick pasta salad. It's also great with some feta cheese, almonds, and/or garbanzo beans for some added protein!

Jenny said...

LB, I posted a blog with 2 recipes, I did link back to your blog...if you don't want me to, I'll edit it!
Hope you like the recipes.
(You don't have to publish this comment!)

Anonymous said...

I like Chocolate Chip Pound Cake. You need:one box yellow cake mix, 3/4cup veg oil,
1 cup sour cream,
1 large box of chocolate instant pudding mix,
4 eggs,
1/2 cup sugar,
2/3 cup water,
and chocolate chips. I only use half a bag bc I don't really like them.

Mix the cake, pudding, oil, eggs, sugar, and water in a stand mixer, then add sour cream. By hand, stir in the chocolate chips. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Cook at 350 for an hour. I've also done it with cupcakes and those are super good too!