Sunday, July 19, 2009

Still Couponing, Still feeling like a newbie

I really feel like I am starting the whole couponing thing over. I am clipping and sorting and matching, but I am missing out on lots of deals because of the weeks that I just couldn't find the strength to care.

But...a miracle has happened over the past week, and I feel like a new person. I am re energized, and nausea, what's that? Thank you, Lord. I have never appreciated feeling normal so much in my life. And I am still two weeks away from second trimester. It truly is a gift from the Lord.

However, with the nausea gone, my appetite has arrived full force, and I have gained my first pound of the pregnancy. If nothing else, I am thankful that the sickness stopped the scale from rising before now. With Ada, I gained ten pounds!!!! first trimester, so things are looking much better this time around. I am channeling all of this new found energy by walking and jogging on a nearby, very shaded, walking trail. I will exercise and not feel so yuck with this second pregnancy. I am determined. (and by jogging, I mean so slowly that a normal person could walk beside me, but jogging I am)

Anyway...I really logged on to tell you about how I am doing with the coupons and the meal planning. Just to keep myself accountable and excited about the deal finding.

Dinner this week looks like this

Monday--"cheater" chicken pie, broccoli
Tuesday--Cheeseburger Pie, a veggie from the local farmer's market (I will buy on Tuesday)
Wednesday--chicken salad sandwiches, fruit, chips
Thursday--jambalaya, black beans
Friday--frozen pizza, salad

And of course the usuals for breakfast, snacks, lunches--eggs, blueberries, strawberries, peanut butter toast, turkey sandwiches, etc. etc. etc. and the always Ada favorite, Activia yogurt

So here is the how the grocery trips went

I started at Kroger where they are having the buy 10, save 5.00 sale. I can't remember all of the price/coupon details, but here is what I bought

2 juicy juice
4 carolina pride smoked sausage
1 box of rice krispies (for rice krispy treats!! my favorite!!)
1 box of fruit loops
4 Tombstone frozen pizzas (for 2.50 each. you can't beat a meal that feeds the whole family for 2.50!!!)
1 bag of marshmallows
1 pack of blueberries
1 loaf of Sara Lee honey wheat bread
5 bottles of Loreal Pro-vive shampoo (1.00 each after coupon)
4 bottles of Loreal kids shampoo (.75 each after coupon)
4 bottles of Garnier Fructis shampoo (1.00 each after coupon--my stockpile of shampoo was non-existent, and now it is re-stocked!!)

total spent=41.97
total saved=52.74

And today I went to Publix

2 New York brand frozen breadsticks
2 Quaker chewy granola bars
4 packs of Women's quattro disposable razors (16 razors total!! It was a great deal)
4 cans of Bush's black beans
Publix frozen pie shells
New York brand croutons
2 bags of goldfish (free b/c they were on sale BOGO, and I had a BOGO coupon)
3 boxes of crayola crayons (.33 each!!)
2 bags of Cape Cod potato chips
1 bottle of flintstone gummies
Publix frozen peas and carrots
1 gallon of Publix milk (on sale for 2.00, and I had a coupon for 1.00 off, so I paid 1.00 for a gallon of milk!!!!)
1 lb of ground beef

total=38.04
total saved=42.10

so far this week I bought 174.85 worth of groceries for 80.00

my friend Bethany blows my numbers out of the water, but I am happy with these numbers while I am getting back on track. What I have learned from Bethany (and Tutti for that matter) is to concentrate on overage and that really gets your numbers low, but I will talk more about that as I figure it out myself.

I still plan to go back to Kroger for a few more items, mainly Tyson split chicken breasts. They are on sale for .99/lb, and I have 4 1.00 off fresh Tyson chicken coupons. I am hoping that combined with a store coupon will equal free chicken. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Hey LB, thanks for the compliment! I wanted to possibly add one thing to your Kroger shopping list. Honeysuckle Ground Turkey 93/7 is on sale for $.99. It's in a one pound package (think sausage like). This sale happens twice a year and is STOCK UP price! I just bought 18 of them and of course, plan on freezing them. Season them up and it's just as good as ground beef. Hope that helps. :)

Suehaad said...

I succumb to Bethany as my superior in couponing:)