Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tackling Kroger

Yesterday instead of our usual library trip, Ada and I decided to head to Kroger to stock up on meat for the next few weeks. I was feeling good, was showered, had eaten breakfast, had my list and coupons, and we were ready. So we pull into the parking lot, find our spot, and all of a sudden I am violently ill. Luckily I have a very messy car, so there was a leftover Sonic bag to quickly grab. So there we sat, me sick and Ada crying in her car seat, saying, "all done, Mommy, all done." I think it scares her when I get sick. The worst part was that there was a poor older women loading her car with groceries right next to me. At one point we made eye contact as I got sick. I felt so bad that she was having to witness that.

I was not to be deterred however. Once I knew my body was through getting sick, I gathered my strength, my list, and Ada, and into Kroger we went. I laughed at myself because just when I am feeling energized and not so pregnant, my body reminds me that I am not even through with first trimester yet.

But, we made it through the rest of the grocery shop uneventfully, and Ada even cooperated once she got her free balloon. Here are the numbers.

2 4 packs of Dannon Activia
1/2 lb Boars Head honey maple chicken
4 packs of Tyson split chicken breast
2 packs of Kroger bacon (BOGO + coupon)
4 cases of Diet Coke
1 carton of eggs (on sale for .59!!!)
and I forgot to buy strawberries and the ground turkey (thanks for the tip, Bethany!!!), so we will probably have to go back today.

I spent 30.15
I saved 32.18

But my fridge is good and stocked with meat for the next few weeks. It will make for some low numbers during the next few grocery shops.

And by the way, last night's "chicken pot pie" meal was a huge hit with everyone, and it was super easy.

Here is the recipe

Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients:

About a cup of pre-cooked diced chicken breast (I used cooked chicken from my freezer, leftover from the rotisserie chickens I bought last week)
1 tsp butter, margarine or olive oil
1 medium onion-chopped
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
Bag of frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, etc…)
1 boiled egg -chopped (optional--I did not use)
1 -2 tsp. Tarragon (I did not add this)
salt and pepper to taste
1 box refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts are in each box)
Saute the onion in the butter until translucent

Directions:

Add all other ingredients (except crusts) and cook until the veggies are heated and no longer frozen (approx. 5 minutes)
Place one pie crust in your pie plate (press to the sides of the pie plate leaving the top hanging over the edge of the pie plate)
Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
Top with the second crust and press the two pie crust edges together
Use a fork to make a few air holes in the top crust.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes (or until top crust is nice and golden)

We all had seconds, and there are leftovers for lunch today. This will be something I make again and again. So easy, so good.

Here is where I got the recipe.

5 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

LB! You MUST get better...ah! You poor thing! Hang in there...it CAN'T last that much longer :-)

So, what's the deal w/ the Activa yogurt? We eat lots of yogurt, but I see commercials and see articles on it...is it supposed to be healthier? Organic? What? Just curious.

LB said...

Ashley--the activia yogurt has bifidus regularis (I think I am spelling that correctly) which is supposed to naturally regulate your digestive system, and as you know, we are always trying to "naturally regulate" Ada's digestive system;) It also has more probiotics than the normal Dannon or Yoplait. It might still be better to buy organic; I'm not sure, but Dannon is much easier on the budget.

The Murphrees said...

I have got to figure out couponing. You save so much money and I am struggling to save few dollars. I need you to tutor me.

The Murphrees said...

Oh, and I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Ashley said...

I hope "Deuce" takes it easier on your stomach soon. ;) We need to get together soon! I haven't seen you in ages! Oh and let me know what colors you want for Ada's birthday shirt, and if you want a hat--her birthday will be here before you know it!