Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chicken and rice

Tonight I planned to cook chicken and rice in the crock pot, but, alas, I forgot to defrost the chicken, so we have moved to plan B. Though I am not yet sure what plan B is ;) I have a box of macaroni and cheese in the pantry--that might be coming out.

I have now added Chicken and Rice to Monday night's dinner menu, and this time I will be sure to take the chicken out of the freezer.

In the mean time, per Amanda's request, I will share this extremely easy dinner recipe that is a staple around our house.

I use split chicken breasts, since they are always on sale at .99 lb. You can also use boneless, skinless breasts, or whatever you have on hand. I have also used chicken leg quarters when that was what I had in the freezer.

When using chicken that is not boneless, skinless, I like to brown the chicken in a skillet first. I just think it does better. This is not necessary with the boneless, skinless kind. After I brown the chicken, I put a cup of rice in the crock pot, followed by 3 cans of whatever "cream of" soup you have in the pantry--chicken, mushroom, or celery--it all works. I then place the chicken on top of the soup and rice mixture, and I add a can of chicken broth. I then turn it on low, and I let it cook all day. The chicken most often turns out very tender, falling off the bone. It's so yummy and so easy.

I just add a green vegetable as a side, and dinner is on the table!
By the way, Ada recommends this for dinner...

2 comments:

Jessica said...

thanks! I'll be adding that one to our list! I needed that!

Amy said...

When you 'brown' the chicken in the skillet first to you add anything like water or oil? What heat level doyou put it on?