Thursday, August 20, 2009

I have joined the crowd

The Harry Potter crowd that is.

I really can't believe it's taken me this long.

It's no secret that I love to read. It's one of my favorite things to do in the whole world, and people who know that about me have told me that I need to read Harry Potter, and I agreed that I probably did need to read them, but I was just never that interested.

Then I became a mom, and the thought crossed my mind that I needed to read Harry Potter to know if I wanted my kids to read Harry Potter, and still, I put it off. I actually thought that they might have the potential to be good read aloud chapter books, but since Ada is only two, I decided I would read it later.

Then Tuesday night I was waiting on Scott to get ready for bed, and I glanced over to find Harry Potter sitting on his bed side table. He picked it up at Goodwill for next to nothing, I think. I am known to read whatever happens to be around me if I find myself in a waiting situation, so I began to read. And I promptly finished the book on Wednesday night.

Clearly I see what all the fuss is about.

As far as my children reading it--I don't know. It's got some scary stuff in it. So maybe they would make the perfect read aloud book followed by much discussion. Hmmm...that's something to think about.

In the mean time, one of my tutoring students loaned me the second book, so I have a night of good reading ahead of me. I am so glad to be in on the Harry Potter secret.

6 comments:

rhodes1 said...

Every time I've tried to respond on facebook, it messed up for some reason, but I'm so excited you're reading them! Just wait, those first books are nothing compared to the second half of the series. Don't forget, I have almost all of them. I would totally agree that the books don't need to be read by younger children. I think they need to have a clear understanding of reality and fantasy before they read them. Keep updated on how much you love them!

Ann said...

Do your blog readers understand what a freakishly fast reader you are? What kind of scary stuff?

julie said...

welcome to the club!! they are so fun to read.. over and over..

Bethany said...

Oh wow LB! I didn't realize you were such a fast reader! I love it! When we were in Guatemala during the "waiting" time, I read so many books. I would start one and finish it the same day. I don't meet many others that share my love for reading (or are as fast as me!!). I've been wanting to read this series, but I have had no time. Maybe I need to borrow your book!

Scott said...

Ann is right, freakish is the best way to describe your reading abilities. I've witnessed it for over 3 yrs now and it still amazes me.

Deanna said...

Welcome to the club! : ) I have most of the books, but I think I'm going to buy the paperback set now, for the girls to have sometime way in the future when they are ready to read them.

If you're interested, though, there are lots of theories to be found on parallels between the series and stories from the Bible. I've even heard of people writing a thesis on topics related to Harry Potter...wouldn't that be fun??