Tuesday, April 14, 2009

2009 Goals Revisited

Back in January, I made a list of goals for the year, and then I said I was going to evaluate my progress every Sunday. Ha. It's April, and I am just now bringing it up again.

But progress has been made. Just to refresh. Here I discussed wanting to get my house in order, walls painted, blinds hung, diet coke eliminated, new meals cooked, and more money saved. How am I doing?

The blinds are hung.
I have tried (once) to make homemade bread.
I have learned to love chicken on the bone, and I even made homemade donuts one Friday night (which tasted good, but left me feeling a bit sick).

The money saved was going better, but we have hit a bump in the road the past two months mainly because of those little things that just come up. However, God has provided more tutoring hours than ever, so we are still on track, but we do wish that more progress had been made.

And my house, oh my house. Flylady and I separated a long time ago, but I do feel like we have more of a routine around here. I think Ada's getting older has helped with the routine. Every morning I try to make a list of 5-10 things that are that day's priority. For example, tae bo and dinner are always on the list. I make the list as doable as possible, and then I tackle those tasks. It helps me to see this on paper, and with each item that I cross off, I gain momentum for the other items. It's working for me. Granted, this stomach virus got me a bit side tracked. I was playing single mom and nurse to two all at the same time, and the result was what you see below. I am now dealing with the aftermath. But praise God, I didn't get sick.

Things are going okay. Our schedule is so insane right now with all of the tutoring, that I am just trying to stay on track the best I can, and the list helps me to do that. What tricks do you have for keeping your life organized? I am always up for a little advice.

7 comments:

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

Girl..I am going to tell you what you don't want to hear..I have come to realize that the little things like crazy orginazation really don't matter..at Life Group the other night..a topic of discussion was "What do you have to die to everyday..what really gets to you" as everyone gave their spills about pride, ORGANIZATION, temper, cursing, and my biggest one was worrying.. (now that is a total different story)..but the whole pick your shoes up at the front door..clean dishes before we go to bed..just doesn't bother me..I see it as I have a child and a husband who can walk..who cares where their shoes are..they will eventually get picked up..if I don't get to the dishes and Brylee is asking me to come watch a movie with her..I am out of there..there is always tomorrow..of course I clean and we do have days where we are in cleaning frenzy..but I leave it to those days..and not stress everyday..hope that helps..glad your family is better and you skipped it! Whoo hoo!!!

Milla said...

Hey LB! I LOVE your idea of making short, do-able lists every day. I do the same thing, and I have started trying to make the list the night before. I'm glad you have been meeting your goals, and I'm also so happy that tutoring has been so busy for you! That's such a blessing.

Keep the updates coming! Love!

joy said...

Hey LB. i am going to comment off your blog today on mine so check it out some time. Love you!

Rachel said...

Okay, this is coming from a girl who is totally OCD, and it really throws me out of whack when my house is messy. I do a little at a time... and I ALWAYS, always fold and put away each load of laundry as soon as the buzzer goes off. I just don't start laundry unless I can dedicate time to finish it. Also, I never let dishes pile up- as soon as they hit the sink they are loaded or washed and put away. That way you don't get overwhelmed, and it becomes a habit. I hope this helps! I need help from you on that grocery list and meal organization. I get so overwhelmed in that aspect!!

Jenny said...

LB, here's how I keep my house (mostly) under control. I do a run-through of all the rooms. I take out anything that doesn't belong in the room, and put it in the correct room. I don't put it away in the room, I just put it in the right room. Then, once all the rooms are free of any items that don't belong, I do my 15-minute-dash.
For 15 minutes I clean, organize, put away things within one room. I don't do more than 15 minutes, otherwise I get burned out.
I don't do every room every day. I might let it go for 2 or 3 days.
It's amazing what 15 minutes can do. Every two weeks or so (maybe sooner if need be) I'll do my total cleaning, mopping, dusting, etc.
It's not a wonderful keep-my-house-spotless method, but it keeps the clutter down. And for me, an uncluttered house makes all the difference!
Good luck!

Ashley said...

I am NOT the person to give advice on getting things crossed off your To-Do list. I'm notorious for starting projects and then never finishing. I have recovered 2 of our 8 dining room chairs in a year! But I'm well on the way to getting our living room finished and will post pics when i'm done. One thing I have found helpful is a gadget for my igoogle called listy for grocery lists and To-Do for my ongoing to-do list. At least having it on my igoogle page reminds me that it still needs to be done and lets me prioritize the list so that the really important stuff is at the top. I also sympathize with having a sick family and your house degenerating. Good luck getting things back in order.

Carrie said...

I am the least organized person ever and admittedly slightly scatterbrained. In order to handle teaching and being a wife and mom I was losing my mind (and my keys and anything else not attached to my body)So I aactually make my ownplanner. I have a column for my priorities and try to do something special for each of them during the week (God, Adam, Noah, Home, etc) Then each day has a column with sections for work to do list, personal to dolist, events, menu etc. It has space for weekly memory verses and goals. It works well when I keep up with it! Then I try not togo tobed without picking up for ten minutes or so.