Thursday, April 23, 2009

Attempting to maintain the cool factor in the face of stay-at-home motherhood


Do ya'll know about crimpers?
They are apparently the new thing. Feeling rather frumpy and out of touch with what is hip, I headed to the hair salon last week. (By the way, Scott said that he had never heard the word frumpy until I used it last week to convince him that I needed a hair cut. I feel like it is a common word. Do you agree?) The girl cutting my hair was much more "in" than me, and she cut my hair like I requested, and then she proceeded to take out a curling iron and put ringlets in my hair. I kid you not, Ada and I had matching hair styles. The thing is, she seemed to know what she was doing. I suspect that she didn't realize just how curly my hair is. Anyway, apparently the look she was going for can be achieved with the tool you see above. A three barrel crimper. I double checked on the name several times before I left the salon, and what you see above is on its way to my house as I write.
I sacrificed a few swagbucks to purchase it off Amazon, but it was all in the name of fashion and anti-mom frumpiness.
I have this theory that everyone is at their hippest during college. This is when you are on the cutting edge of everything--fashion, hair style, education, research, relationships, Christian culture--am I right?
Well, I left Auburn in 2005, and at that time, flat irons were still the way to go. Apparently I got stuck there, and it's not a good situation. So...because I trust the hairstylist who was younger and cooler than me, I am going to try my hand at crimping my hair, though I think the appropriate term might be "waving" my hair. I will let you know how it goes.
Please comment if you already knew about the crimper, and let me know if it is already on its way out.

8 comments:

Milla said...

Oh, this is SO funny! LB, if you are behind on what's "hip" in hair or clothes or whatever, then we're all out of luck! You know more than anyone! Do you have a picture of your crimpy hair? I'd love to see!

Suehaad said...

I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm excited to see the results...

Must post a pic.

Amanda said...

Please include a picture post "crimp". I'm trying to visualize this. I had a crimper in middle school and that thing did not look anything like my crimper. I am thinking that this is a different type of look. Hipper as you say!

Rachel said...

Wow! I am behind the times... I am still using a flat iron too-please take picks, I really want to see what your hair looks like. I just got my hair cut, so I feel like this might be a good move for me as well. You are right about college kids being hip! Last night Mark and I went to a baseball game, and it was just about all students... I felt so old school in my wedges... al the girls nowadays are sporting the gladiator sandals- I can't keep up!

Bethany said...

I am definitely not in the hip category anymore! I thought a crimping iron was one that put little crimps in your hair (picture the 80's)!!! :)

Sarah Garner said...

I would like a picture of your hair using this device please. Apparently I am equally unhip although I could have guessed this! Not from you though lb!

Becca said...

Hipness is a function of disposable income. I bet that someday not too long from now, you will look back at college and think about how much hipper you are than you were then!

Besides, style is all about personal expression, not fitting in with external trends. ;) Just do what makes you feel best and other people will admire your confidence and individuality!

Amy said...

Ok, I thought a crimper was one of those things used in the 80's- it looks way different than this. I must be out of it in mom zone too because I'm still attached to the flat iron, uh-oh..