Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Different Kind of Easter

Well, we are spending this Easter morning at home, dealing with the aftermath of a violent stomach virus. It was bad, folks.

We originally planned to head to Alabama on Friday as soon as Scott got home from work. We were going to spend Friday night with Scott's family, and then spend Saturday night with my family. Well, the tornadoes that decided to take over Alabama on Friday night, postponed our trip. So, we regrouped, moved our departure time to Saturday after Ada's nap, and headed out around 3:00 on Saturday afternoon.

Before we even got to down town Atlanta, Ada started vomiting. And I do mean vomiting. As in projectile. After this happened twice, she acted fine, so we chalked it up to car sickness, got her cleaned up, and headed on our merry way. And then, the vomiting got worse. And worse. And she wasn't so fine anymore. We finally pulled over in Kennesaw, an hour away from our house, where I bought a few extra shirts for Ada and for myself because the ones that we had on were soaked through. In fact, in the middle of Target, Ada once again threw up all over me and her. It wasn't pretty, ya'll. I tried to maintain as much dignity as possible as I walked through Target covered in vomit. We finally got her as comfortable as possible in her carseat. I placed a towel under her, let her go topless because I couldn't afford to buy a new shirt for everyone that she soaked through, and I kept a towel under her chin to catch as much as I could on the drive home. I was not doing so well at this point because I was dealing with a very sick little girl. I was calling Tutti, my mom, Ann, and the on-call nurse to get advice, and, finally, she fell asleep. At that point, worried that she was very dehydrated, I debated on waking her up to try to hydrate her, but Scott begged me to let her sleep. I did let her sleep, but I slept on the floor beside her crib, ready to wake up the second she needed me.

At 1:30 am, she woke up, and threw up once more all over me and her. However, she was holding her head up (earlier, she had been limp, lying on Scott or me at all times), and she was very adamantly demanding juice. I gave her an entire sippy cup of Pedialyte, and she gulped it down and promptly asked for more. And miracle of all miracles, the Pedialyte stayed down. And she let me give her a much-needed bath, at 1:30 am. I couldn't bear the thought of putting her back in the bed, still covered in the day's mess. So, I got her bathed and back to bed, and she slept until morning.

She bounced out of bed this morning as if nothing had ever happened, and Scott got up with her, so that I could catch a few extra hours of sleep. I have never been able to sleep in the same room with Ada, even from day one, because I wake up at the slightest sound or movement, and last night was no different. She seems to be just fine today, but I did put her back in bed at 10:30 am because instinct tells me that she needs rest, even if she acts like she doesn't.

I have to confess that I feel sad to spend Easter morning at home instead of in a Church and with family. It is a day for celebration, and I am having a hard time mustering up the emotion. Scott did just go out to pick up lunch from Cracker Barrel (I wanted something that resembled home cooking), and we are about to watch the Easter Service at Mars Hill, which is broadcasting live.

It's not the day that we planned. My family is at home listening to my brother-in-law teach, and then they will eat lunch at a local B & B, followed by an Easter Egg Hunt. In fact, Ada's Strasburg Easter dress, which matches Ellie's, is sitting in a closet at my mom's house, but none of that really matters, of course.

Here is what we celebrate today, no matter our circumstances (quoting from the Jesus Storybook Bible),

"Jesus turned to them and said, 'Go everywhere and tell everyone the happy news! 'Tell them I love them so much that I died for them. It's the truth that overcomes the terrible lie. God loves his children. Yes, he really does!' Suddenly the whole sky was filled with a dazzling light. 'Now everyone can come home to God,' Jesus said. 'Death is not the end of you. You can live forever with your Father in heaven because I have rescued the whole world!'

"For anyone who says yes to Jesus. For anyone who believes what Jesus said. For anyone who will just reach out to take it. Then God will give them this wonderful gift:

To be born into a whole new life. To be who they really are. Who God always made them to be--Their own true selves--God's dear child. (paraphrase of John 1:12-13)"

It's time to celebrate, ya'll!!

5 comments:

Brysmommy, Kenswifey said...

Poor Ada..and poor Mommy for the first stomach virus..Brylee's first occurred at school..and she threw up about 3 more times at home..so I did not get to endure the full effect..and dread when I do..but it sounds to me like you handled it well..and I hope your Easter day turned out better than you ever expected!

Scott said...

Note that I did wear a church t-shirt from college to Cracker Barrel so they would know I wasn't a complete pagan.

Obviously if I had on a church t-shirt then everyone would know that I must have a vomiting child at home that was keeping me out of church on the Holiest day of the year.

Katie said...

I hope that Ada is feeling much better and is now well rested!! It is more clear to me now than ever, that plans are going to change no matter what with a baby! Happy Easter! We can't wait to visit with ya'll again!

Jessica said...

Oh Laura Beth...sounds like a rough time! I'm so sorry she got so sick! I'm glad she's feeling better. I hope ya'll can get some much needed rest today.

The Glovers said...

geez - so sorry!

we missed you guys at church

at least you got to see the Mars Hill service, gotta love Driscoll