Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Trying to get back to the routine

Finally, I am home.

After staying an extra night in Auburn, I planned to leave at the crack of dawn yesterday morning. Well, my younger sister Kate woke up very sick, and my other younger sister, Sarah, had class all day long, so I helped Kate get to the University Medical Clinic and pharmacy and back to her house. Finally, around noon on Monday, I pulled on to the interstate headed for Atlanta.

I couldn't get here fast enough, and the whole drive all I could picture was little Ada running to me.

When I finally did get home, she acted embarrassed to see me, so I finally had to pick her up, and then she wrapped her arms around my neck and buried her head in my shoulder. It was Heaven.

It is so hard for me to quickly get back into the swing of things after being away. Do you agree?

I knew that there were no groceries for the week (other than stockpiled items) and no menu plan, and I even realized that I forgot to remind Scott to get papers on Sunday. So, for the first time in months, I did not get coupons on Sunday. I am feeling a little lost without them. To add to all of that, I still have several stacks of coupons that need to be organized.

Feeling a little frazzled last night and needing to quickly come up with a game plan for the week, I quickly scanned the fridge and pantry and then headed to Publix with no coupons!!!! Not a single one. I confess, it was painful for me to shop that way. I got there, with no list, grabbed a sales paper, and did the best that I could under the circumstances. I ended up spending 45.00 for not that many groceries. I tell you, couponing is worth it. I have learned to scan the items in my cart and estimate what I will pay, and with coupons, my grocery bill would have been half what it was. Don't get me wrong, I only shopped sale items, and I did save lots of money doing it that way, but still...I don't think I will try shopping without coupons again. However, we do have meals to eat now, and that will save us from overspending on eating out.

Life truly has been a bit crazy lately, and the budget is suffering as a result. I think the beach weekend (coming up very, very soon) is going to be the perfect get away where I can rest and regroup and come back ready to go.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Glad to hear that you are back! I have extra coupons, so don't worry about not getting any. I'll bring them to you the next time I see you. :)

The Murphrees said...

I completely know how you feel with the couponing thing. At least you have a grasp on it. I am still struggling to try and save money at the grocery store.

Question: how did you get started with online tutoring?

Becca said...

Hey LB, have you thought of mystery shopping as an option? I have not had much luck with it (it's not as strong of a draw for me since I'd rather relax when I have time away from work, rather than try to get a little extra $$), but I think Ashley Rash has. It looks like it could definitely add up if you mystery shop a couple of times a week! I think it works best for people with flexible schedules.

LMK if you're interested and I'll send you the name of the company I signed up for. Ashley signed up for a different company so you might want to ask her, too.