Thursday, April 9, 2009

Give me truth, Oh Lord

The other day I was driving in the car listening to some praise music on the radio, and I heard these words from a familiar praise song,

"Who can grasp your infinite wisdom, who can fathom the depths of your love"

and in these words, which I have heard a million or more times, I found such comfort. Because isn't this, as believers, what we stand on. We can't stand on circumstances. I see that everyday. I hear story after story of believers who are suffering in incomprehensible ways, and even in the minor trials that make up my days, were I to stand on emotions, I would quickly begin to doubt who God is, and most likely, I would even begin to doubt his goodness.

Of course there are times when my emotions tell me that God is good--when Ada is cuddled up close to me, or when I crawl into bed at night beside Scott, or even when I eat a really good meal or I enjoy a beautiful day spent outside--there are circumstances that point to God's goodness. Of course, there are.

But, praise the Lord, God is in no way defined by our circumstances. Whether our circumstances are good or bad, there are these truths that we can cling to. He is infinitely wise; He is deeply loving. And that is all I need to know. That is where peace comes from. It is in resting in the one who is so much wiser and more loving than I can even comprehend. I rest in the fact that whatever he allows to happen to me is for my good. And I am thankful that His perception of what is good is so far above mine.


"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose," Romans 8:28


And what do I mean by good? Knowing Him and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings, being conformed to His death. Why? That I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

"But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead," Philippians 3:7-11

What peace I find in filling my mind with truth. I spend so much time listening to lies, and my prayer is that each day the Lord would grant me the ability to cling to truth in the place of those lies, that I might experience that peace that passes all understanding.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Beautifully put. Sweet and sincere and just what God wanted me to hear today! Thank you.